JAMES M. MOORE, of the Ohio Valley FIre Clay Company, Toronto, was born in Beaver County, Penn., in 1840, the son of Jesse and Mary (McCoy) Moore. In this native county he was reared and received his early education, which he completed by attendance at the school of Prof. Lafferty, at Wellsville, and by taking a commercial course in Duff's college at Pittsburgh. He then obtained employment with the Pennsylvania railroad company, at Pittsburgh and was so engaged for four years, after which he accepted a position as clerk of the steamer Camelia under Capt. Dean. One year later he removed to Union City, Ind., and engaged in the grain trade. He was a resident of that place and occupied in that business for ten years. Returning then to Wellsville, Ohio, he became the teller of the First National bank of that place. Subsequently he entered the employment of N. U. Walker, sewer pipe manufacturer, and has now been connected with that industry for fifteen years. He has been engaged with the National Sewer Pipe company, and the Great Western company. In the spring of 1889, in company with W. F. Myers, G. W. McCoy and T. B. Lysle, he embarked in the manufacture of sewer pipe and fire brick and terra cotta goods, at Toronto, under the style of the Ohio Valley Fire Clay company. Mr. Moore is an enterprising citizen who has contributed much to the advancement of his community, and is building up an extensive business. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and in politics is a democrat. In May 1863 he was married to Sarah A. McFall, daughter of Alfred McFall, of Pittsburgh. They have six children: Jesse A., Edgar C., John G., William H., Walter D., and Mazie M. Mr. Moore's father, Jesse, died about 1874. He was a well known river pilot, very skillful in his business. His wife still survives at the age of ninety years, with six of their eight children.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.