JAMES M. REYNOLDS, city clerk of Steubenville, and for the past twelve years, operated at that place for the "Pan Handle" railroad company, was born in Steubenville, December 24, 1857. His parents, Henry K. and Ann E. (Davidson) Reynolds, were both born about thirty miles from Baltimore, in Cecil county, Md., and were married in that state. In an early day they located in Steubenville, where the father spent the rest of his life, and where the mother still resides. Here his father first engaged in the dry goods business, but later led the life of a steamboat captain. It was he who, in connection with Mr. Loudon Borland, sank the coal shaft in Steubenville, which is now operated by Steubenville coal and mining company. Still later he was a member of the firm of Reynolds & Anderson, who operated extensive planing-mill interests. Some years after retiring from this he was elected recorder of Jefferson county, but died April 10, 1877, during his term of office. James M. Reynolds was reared in Steubenville, the public schools of which he attended until he was nineteen years of age, lacking only about two months of completing the high school course. On quitting school he began the study of telegraphy in the office of the P., C. & St. L. railroad company, at Steubenville. In less than a year he was a competent operator, and in April, 1877, he entered the employ of the company as night operator. At the expiration of one year he was made day operator, and he has held that position ever since. Mr. Reynolds was married October 8, 1884, to Carrie G., daughter of John Underwood, of Cross Creek township, and at present a member of the board of county commissioners. Mr. Reynolds and wife are members of the Episcopal church. He is a member of the Odd Fellows lodge and Encampment, and the Patriarchs Militant. In politics he is an ardent republican. In the spring of 1885 he was appointed clerk by the city council, and he has filled that position with marked ability having been re-appointed in the spring of 1887, and again in the spring of 1889.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.