JAMES N. MAYHEW, one of the finest farm of Hancock county is that of James N. Mayhew of Clay district, which comprises about 230 acres of fertile land, well improved, having a variety of all kinds of fruit, and provided with good buildings. Oil is found in paying quantities but a few miles away, and underlying the farm is a good vein of coal, of superior quality, three to eight feet in thickness. Mr. Mayhew was born in Washington county, Penn., December 31, 1827 and is the son of John and Elizabeth (Jackson) Mayhew. The father was born in Northumberland county, Penn., November 8, 1798 and the mother October 10, 1800 in Washington county, Penn. The grandfather Mayhew came from Northumberland county to Washington county in 1813 and in 1844 to Parkersburgh, W. Va., where he died in 1846. His wife survived until early in the fifties. Her father, Jackson, lived in Washington county, where he engaged in farming until his death in 1852. John Mayhew spent his early life in Washington county and came to Hancock county in 1836, where he followed farming and teaming until his death, in April 1881. His wife died in November 1875. James N. Mayhew came to this county with his father and received his education in the Fairview schools. He removed to the place he now occupies. In the same year he was married to Mary Jane, daughter of Thomas Crawford, who was born in Columbiana county, Ohio in April 1831. They have thirteen children, all living as follows: Thoams C., John H., David E., William L., Nancy J., Charles C. and James L., twins, George C., Ella E., Elizabeth J., Frank F., Ira and Noah G. Parents and family are members of the Methodist Protestant church. Mr. Mayhew has served the community efficiently as trustee and president of the school board for more than twenty-five years. For thirty years he has been a Mason. In the spring of 1878 Jennie Mayhew, daughter of the above named, was married to Wesley Herron. She was born in this county in 1860. Mr. Herron, a prominent young farmer, was born in Hancock county in 1855, a son of William Herron. He has a valuable farm of ninety acres in the oil field, half of which is leased to an oil company. Mr. Herron is a member of the Disciples church, and is highly esteemed by his neighbors. He and wife have six children: John E., Charles C., Celia M., Vernia B., Eula B. and Hattie.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.