JOHN UNDERWOOD, of Cross Creek township, a member of the board of county commissioners of Jefferson county, was born in East Springfield, Ohio, January 17, 1831. His father, Andrew Underwood, came to St. Johns, New Brunswick, about 1820, from Ireland, his native land and two years later removed to Philadelphia, whence a short time later he migrated to Jefferson county. He made his home at East Springfield and there opened a shoe shop, which he conducted until 1839, turning his attention then to farming, which was his vocation during the remainder of his life. He was married in 1830 to Nancy Dunley, who was born in Westmoreland county, Penn., and six children were born to them, three of whom survive. The father died in July 1852 and his wife died in 1878. He was one of the founders of the McCullough church of East Springfield, and an active member of that until its dissolution in 1867, when he became a member of St. John's Episcopal church. John Underwood, the subject of this mention, after receiving his education in the pioneer schools of the days of his childhood, became a farmer, an occupation to which in connection with the operation of a threshing machine and a sawmill, he has given his attention through life. He has been prominent in public affairs, has served efficiently as land appraiser and township trustee, and now holds the position of president of the board of education in addition to membership in the board of commissioners. In politics he is an ardent republican and he has several times had the honor of sitting as a delegate in congressional conventions. He and wife are members of St. James church of Cross Creek, and he is a member of the Masonic fraternity. In 1857 Mr. Underwood was married to Mary, daughter of Jacob Mansfield, and they have had six children: Edwin M., deceased; Julia, Agnes J., Carrie, and two children who died in infancy.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.