JAMES W. STEPHENSON, of Richmond, Jefferson county, was born at Bowling Green, Ohio, September 26, 1845, the son of John and Julia (Anderson) Stephenson, natives of Washington county, Penn. His father died in September 1881 and the mother May 1st 1867. His grandparents were of Irish and Scotch nativity. Mr. Stephenson is the sixth born in a family of eight children, of whom seven are living. While a boy he had the advantages of an education in the public schools, and during two terms in the Richmond college, and he then taught school for four years, meeting with much success, but finally being compelled to seek another occupation, being in poor health. He dealt in live stock one year, and then in 1874 engaged in the mercantile business, which he has since adhered to, and in which he has achieved notable success. He is now completing a large store room and dwelling opposite the house he has used for several years. In November 1888 he also became associated with james Simpson in the Oakley flour mills of Richmond. He is very active in matters of public interest and a leader in valuable enterprises. He is one of those who secured the partial completion of the L. E. A. & S. railroad, working for it during four years, and was prominently instrumental in securing the extension of the corporation of Richmond. He was largely instrumental in leasing 2,100 acres of coal land operated at Bergholz and secured the lease of 1,100 acres of oil land at Mooretown for a firm at Cleveland, Ohio. Mr. Stephenson was married April 3, 1873 to Amanda S. McNiece, of Richmond. Her father is a native of Ireland, who came to this country at ten years of age, and her mother is a native of Westmoreland county, Penn. To this marriage have been born five children: Renwick L., Julia M., Parker H., Della M., Iradell. Mrs. Stephenson is a member of the United Presbyterian church of Richmond. He attends regularly and for his means is a liberal contributor.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.