DR. JAMES W. STEWART, a prominent physician of Steubenville was born in Washington county, Penn., November 12, 1826, son of William D. and Martha Ann (Mateer) Stewart. The father was born in the same house which was the birth place of his son, in October, 1796. By occupation he was a farmer. He was accidentally killed by falling from a veranda while asleep, October 5, 1877. The mother was born in Maryland and was seven years younger than her husband, to whom she bore eight children, of whom four are now living. She died September 1, 1854. When Dr. Stewart was eleven years of age his parents removed to Hancock county, W. Va., where he remained witht hem n a farm until he was fifteen. At that age he bade his parents good-bye, and ever since then he has been entirely on his own resources. He first returned to Pennsylvania, and for three years was a student in the public schools of Washington. In the fall of 1844 he began teaching as a temporary pursuit, opening his first term of school on November 1st, a few days before his eighteenth birthday. In the fall of 1849 he entered Washington and Jefferson college, which he attended two terms, alternating his attendance with teaching to procure the necessary means. In the meantime, he entered upon the study of medicine under the preceptorship of Dr. David S. Dorsey, of Steubenville. During the winters of 1850-1 and 1851-2 he attended the Jefferson medical college, of Philadelphia, graduating March 2, 1852. The means necessary to take him through the medical college were procured by teaching during vacations, and he also taught six months after graduating, at Calumet, Jefferson county, In the fall of 1852 he located in Phillipsburg, Beaver county, Penn., and turned his entire attention to the practice of medicine. There he remained fifteen months, as the partner of Dr. Emil Acker. He then located at Toronto, where he was engaged in active practice for eighteen years. In April, 1871, he removed to Steubenville, where he has been engaged in his profession ever since. Dr. Stewart was married April 8, 1851, to Marguerite Parks, who died January 2, 1881, leaving four children: Harlan W., Robert F., Leonora A. and Ella V., of whom Robert has since died. He was a graduate of the Cleveland medical college and for two years had been in practice with his father. February 14, 1883, Dr. Stewart was married to Mrs. Mary H. McMillan, who died April 18, 1885. The doctor is a member of the United Presbyterian church. In politics he is an ardent republican. Dr. Stewart has enjoyed an extensive practice, which has enabled him to become the owner of extensive property interests, and to enjoy a large income. For a great many years he has been a member of the Ohio State Medical society.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.