LEWIS ANDERSON, an old and highly esteened citizen of Steubenville, is a native of that city, born October 6, 1821. He was the son of Peter and Margaret (Macbeth) Anderson, the former of whom was born near Wilmington, De., and the latter was born in Allegheny county, Penn. Both paternally he is of Scotch descent. His paternal grandfather was a native of Scotland. He died when his son, Peter Anderson was yeat a small boy. The latter, during his boyhood, made his home with an older brother, who, when he was a youth, apprenticed him to a shoemaker in Pittsburgh with whom he served between six and seven years. His attention throughout his entire life, was given to his trade, at which he was very successful and by the means of which he accumulated considerable property. He was married three times, the mother of our subject being his first wife, to whom he was married in Pittsburgh in 1814. A few months after his first marriage, he removed to Steubenville where he spent the remainder of his life, his death occurring in 1871. The mother of our subject died in 1828 or when he was but seven years old. The latter spent his entire life, thus far, in Steubenville. He is now in the sixty-eighth year of his age, and during his entire life he has resided on the same street upon which he was born, it being Third street. He received his early education in both public and private schools of the city. During his youth he learned the shoemaker's with his father, beginning it at twelve years of age. In 1842 or few months before his twenty-first birthday, his father loaned him the sum of $300. With the money he started a general store, and for a period of twenty-two years he was engaged in general retail business. From 1864 to 1869 his attention was given to the management of his farm near Steubenville, and to the purchase and sale of live stock. In the fall of 1869, he and Mr. H. K. Reynolds purchased the McKinney planing mill on South Seventh street, and Mr. Anderson has been one of the proprietors ever since. In 1875, Mr. Reynolds was succeeded by William C. Anderson, a half brother of our subject, but that partnership was dissolved by William C. Anderson's death in 1877. Since then Mr. Lewis Anderson and his three sons have operated the property under the name of L. Anderson & Sons. Mr. Anderson was married in February 1846 to Ella Iams, a native of Cross Creek township, Jefferson Co., Ohio. She was the daughter of Richard and Mary Ann (Wayman) Iams, former residents of Cross Creek township. By occupation her father was a farmer. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have had a family of nine children, as follows: Henry C., Leonard A., Mary J., Peter, Andrew, Samuel S., George, Hettie B. and Amanda E., of whom Andrew, Samuel and George are deceased. In politics, Mr. Anderson was formerly a whig and a zealous supporter of Henry Clay. He has served two terms as a member of the city council and two terms as a member of the board of water works, trustees, being president of the board during one term. May 16, 1889, he was appointed by Gov. J. B. Foraker, a member of the board of elections at Steubenville which position he now holds. Mr. Anderson is one of Steubenville's oldest native born citizens and no one of her citizens is more highly honored or esteemed.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.