LEVI L. PITNER, a leading blacksmith and horseshoer of Steubenville was born in Sharon, Penn., May 24, 1848. He is the son of Richard C. and Harriet (Kinney) Pitner, the former a native of Steubenville, and the latter of New Hampshire. When he was six years old his parents removed to Clarion county, Penn., and three years later he went to live with the family of J. C. McCamant, a wealthy farmer and blacksmith of Clarion county. At fifteen years of age he went to Wheeling and served a four years' apprenticeship at the blacksmith's trade. He was then employed as a journeyman two years and four months in St. Clairsville, Ohio. He then, in 1870, engaged at blacksmithing for himself at West Wheeling. Two years later he removed to Wellsburgh, W. Va., where he was engaged in a blacksmithing business seven years. In 1881 he came to Steubenville, where he conducts a large blacksmith shop. Mr. Pitner was married November 23, 1870 to Anna C. Maybury, a native of Wheeling, W. Va., daughter of Rev. William Maybury, a Baptist minister. They have had twn children: William R., Laura E., Marcus, Emma, Dessie, Mary E., Levi, Mabel, McCoy and Rachel, of whom Emma, Levi and MCCoy are deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Pitner are members of the First Baptist church of Steubenville and he is an Odd Fellow.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.