LEONIDAS WHITE, M. D., a prominent physician of Wintersville, Jefferson County, was born in Beaver county, Penn., March 20, 1851, and was there also reared and educated in his youth. He attended the common schools and subsequently the Freedom academy. For several years thereafter he was occupied as a carpenter and also in painting, but deciding to take up the profession of medicine of medicine, he began to study in the fall of 1873, under Dr. Hood, of Beaver county, with whom he remained eight months. He then entered the Cleveland medical college, and was graduated there in the spring of 1877. In the fall of the same year he came to Jefferson county and began the practice at New Alexandria, where he remained until March 1878, when he made his residence at Wintersville. He has here gained a creditable rank in his profession, and is a valued and active member of the community. He has held the office of township clerk for five terms, has served as infirmary physician since residing at Wintersville, and in 1889, was appointed a member of the United States examinging board for pensions. In 1887 the doctor was married to M. Anna Shane, daughter of John Shane, of Mansfield, Ohio and they have four children: Xenophon N., Deverile J., Leonella and Fred L. The doctor and wife are members of the Presbyterian church.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.