HON. OSCAR F. BRASHEAR, mayor of the city of Steubenville, is a native of that city, born December 25, 1842. He was the son of Thomas and Madline (Wise) Brashear, both of whom were also antives of Steubenville, the former having been born in the same house in which our subject was born, it being the third building erected in the city. His father, who was a tailor by trade, died November 19, 1879. His mother is still living, and at present makes her home with her children in both Steubenville and Columbus, Ohio. The subject of this sketch was reared to manhood in Steubenville, which place has always been his home. His early education was obtained in the public schools of the city, and at the early age of twelve years he took a position as messenger boy for the old Steubenville & Indiana railroad, and continued in that capacity for the same road seven years, during which time he also learned telegraphy. At nineteen he took charge of the telegraph office of the same road at Neward, Ohio, and was operator at that place two years. In 1862, owing to the close of operating, and entered the transportation department, the name of the road in the meantime having been changed to the Pittsburgh, Columbus & Cincinnati railroad. In 1864 he took charge of the joint agency at Mingo Junction, and remained there as agent of both the above road, which by this time had become the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati & St. Louis railroad, and the CLeveland & Pittsburgh road from July 4, 1864 until October 1865. The Ohio river bridge now being completed and the Pan Handle trains being run into Pittsburgh, he in October 1865, took charge of the Pan Handle agency in South Pittsburgh. He held that position until 1872 when upon being solicited to take the general freight and passenger agency of Louisville, Paducah & South Western road, he accepted and held that position until May 1875. Returning to Steubenville he turned his attention to the butchering and live stock business in partnership with his father-in-law. The firm did a very successful business, and continued until March 1, 1886 when owing to ill health, Mr. Brashear was obliged to retire. However, on the same day he retired he was appointed cashier of the Royal Gas company, and held the position until APril 10, 1889, when he resigned to take charge of the office of mayor of Steubenville, to which he had been elected April 1, 1889. He was elected on the democratic ticket, and although the republican majority was between 700 and 800, he was elected by seventy-one majority. He had previously served as a member of the city council two terms to two years each, overcoming a republican majority of the 120 the first time, and a majority of 166 the second time. His first majority was twenty-two and his second twenty-four. In politics he has always been a democrat, but he is in no wise an offensive partisan, respecting the political opinions of others. He was married in April 1866 to Mary J. Mandel, only daughter of John B. and Leah Mandel, formerly of Steubenville. Their marriage has resulted in the birth of twelve children, nine of whom are living. Their names are: Wilhelmina, Leah M., Mary H., Brock, Katie, Alvira, Oscar, Mandel and Oliver. Those dead are: Georgiana, John T. and another that died unnamed. Mr. Brashear is a member of the F. & A. M. and K. of P. lodges. He is a pleasant sociable gentleman and Steubenville does not contain a man who is better or more favorably known within its borders. As mayor of the city he is discharging his duties in a highly commendable manner, and his administration promises to result in the establishment of a better state of municipal affairs than has existed for many years.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.