OBADIAH J. WILLIAMS, of Cross Creek township, well known among the farmers of Jefferson county, was born within a mile of his present residence, July 30, 1820. His father, John Williams, an early settler of Jefferson county, was born in Ireland, and came tot he United States in company with teo older brothers in 1790. After remaining in Delaware seven years, they removed to Lancaster county, Penn., and there resided until 1801, when they all came to Cross Creek township, and made a permanent settlement. Here John Williams became popular and prominent in the affairs of his time. He was a soldier of the war of 1812, was one of the leading members of the Presbyterian church, and active in various directions for the general good. He was married in 1814 to Margaret Crawford, who bore to him eleven children, two of whom beside the subject of this mention, survive. The mother died August 8, 1848 and the father married again in 1851, Eliza, widow of Jacob Hill, by whom he had one child. John Williams died in 1866 and his widow in 1872. The subject of this sketch was reared on the farm, and in 1862 was married to Elizabeth, daughter of Andrew Decker, of Jefferson county. By this union eight children have been born: Margaret A., Annie, Clarissa, Minnie, John, Dora, Andrew and Helen. Mr. and Mrs. Williams are members of the First Presbyterian church of Steubenville, of which his father was one of the founders, and in politics he is a republican. His long and honorable life in this community has given him many friends, and he occupies a high place in the estimation of all.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.