DR. PHILIP A. WALKER, a physician and citizen of high standing, of Steubenville, Ohio, was born in Tuscarawas county, Ohio, November 10, 1826. He was the son of Thomas and Mary Ann (Cushman) Walker, both of whom were natives of the state of Maryland. His father was twice married, his mother being his father's second wife. In an early day his parents located in Tuscarawas county, Ohio, where both spent the remainder of their lives. His father, who led a life of a school teacher and farmer, died in 1854, and his wife survived him until 1879. The subject of this sketch was the third in a family of eight children, six of whom are still living. He was reared to manhood on a farm in his native county, and received his literary education in a district school. In 1849 he entered upon the study of medicine, under the preceptorship of Dr. G. D. Hamilton, of Knoxville, Jefferson county, Ohio and continued with him about three years. He began practice with him after which, in the year 1855-56 he received his collegiate training in the Cleveland medical college. In the meantime, in 1854, he had located, for the practice of medicine, in Island Creek township, Jefferson county, Ohio. After receiving his collegiate education he resumed his practice there, and continued in the active practice of medicine and surgery in that vicinity until the spring of 1886. He also superintended the management of farming interests, having owned, during his residence there, three different farms. In the spring of 1880 he removed to the village of Toronto, Jefferson county, and the spring of 1883 he removed from that place to Steubenville, where he has since given his whole time to his profession. Dr. Walker was married in 1851, to Amanda E. Robertson, daughter of Andrew and Julia (Alexander) Robertson. Mrs. Walker was born in Island Creek township, Jefferson county, Ohio, in 1832. She has borne to her husband a family of nine children, as follows: Julia A., Leonidas H., Andrew A., James, William S., Thomas W., Emma B., Eva R. and Ernest, of whom Julia, Andrew and James are deceased. Thomas W. Walker is a physician by profession, having graduated from the medical department of the Western Reserve university of Cleveland, in the spring of 1889. While taking his last course of lectures, on November 6, 1888, he received an appointment as one of the house staff of St. Vincent's hospital, at Cleveland, and he is now house physician in that institution. Dr. Walker and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics the former is a republican. Dr. Walker is a successful physician, and he possesses a lucrative practice. He is an upright, worthy citizen, and his record is beyond reproach.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.