ROBERT H. TURNER, a prominent citizen of Mingo Junction, was born April 24, 1845, in Mew York city. When fourteen years of age he removed to Portage county, Ohio, and engaged in farm work, but after eight years of that employment went to Alliance and learned telegraphy. Two years later he spent a year at Kensington, Ohio and he was then made agent at Portland, of the CLeveland & Pittsburgh railroad. In October 1871 he moved to Mingo Junction and took charge of the railway business here, and held the position of agent until 1884. Since then he has been extensively engaged in contracting and building and conducts a popular grocery house. He is a member of the Junior Order of American Mechanics and the Red Man. In politics he has taken an active part, has served several times on the republican central committee and is regarded as one of the leading men of his party in the county. During the administration of President Grant he was appointed postmaster. In municipal affairs he has been enterprising and aggressive, aiding much in the building up of the town. As the first clerk of the town, and as councilman (term expires April 1, 1891) and achool director, he has rendered the community valuable service. Nr. Turner;s parents were Robert and Catherine (Crevline) Turner, natives of New Jersey, whose residence at New York began soon after the war of the revolution. The father was a tanner by trade. He died in 1846 and his widow in 1848. On November 24, 1868, RObert H. Turner was married to Mary J., daughter of Henry and Mary Breen, natives of Ireland, who came to America about 1850. Settling at Pittsburgh, the father engaged as engineer in the iron foundry of Mitchell, Stevenson & Co., and five years later moved to Columbiana county, Ohio, where he was a farmer until his removal to Mingo Junction. Mr. Turner and wife have three children, Mamie E., Harry E. and George H.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.