SAMUEL P. BERRY, agent of the Cleveland & Pittsburgh railroad, at Freeman's Station, and mayor of the village of Empire, was born in Washington county, Penn., October 20, 1850. He is the son of Jonathan and Eliza (Riddell) Berry, both natives of Pennsylvania, the former a son of John Berry, who was born in Lancaster county, Penn. Jonathan Berry and wife came to Jefferson county in 1861, with their family, and settled in Knox township. Here the father was engaged as a farmer until his death, which occurred in February 1882. His widow is still living. They were the parents of seven children, of whom three are living. Samuel P. Berry was educated in the common schools of Washington and Jefferson counties, and at Hopedale college, and he then engaged in the drug business at Knoxville for some time. In 1882 he entered the service of the Cleveland & Pittsburgh railroad, as freight clerk at McCoy's station, and remained in that position until 1874, when he went to the west and spent some time. In 1880 he returned to his home in Jefferson county, and again engaged in the drug business at Knoxville, but soon afterward removed to Empire, where he continued in that business until 1884. In the latter year he again entered the employ of the railroad, and was appointed agent at Freeman's Station in 1887. In 1886 Mr. Berry was elected mayor of Empire, and in the spring of 1886 was elected justice of the peace, both of which offices he still holds. He is an ardent republican and influential in political and social affairs. In 1878 he was married to Emma, daughter of Dr. George D. Hamilton, of Wellsville, now deceased. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church of Empire, and he is affiliated with the Masonic order and the Knights of Pythias.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.