THOMAS ANDERSON, who established in 1844 the now famous fire brick works at Anderson's landing, Hancock County, was born in McConnelstown, Penn., May 10, 1810. He was the oldest of a family of seven sons and one daughter of THomas Anderson, of Irish descent, who lived in Pennsylvania until his death at Pittsburgh about the year 1828. Thomas Anderson spent his early life in Pennsylvania, and attended the schools of Pittsburgh and other places until he learned the trade of a potter at the age of eighteen. After following histrade at Pittsburgh, and working also at brickmaking, he came in 1831 to Hancock county, where he was employed by Thomas Freeman in the making of fire brick. A year later he rented the works and conducted the business for several years. In 1839 he bought land further down the river and began the manufacture of stone ware. In 1844, as above stated, he founded the brick works, which then manufactured 600,000 brick per year. This business was conducted under the firm name of T. Anderson & Co., until Mr. Anderson purchased the other interests and continued the business until 1884, when his sons began the manufacture of sewer pipe, in which they are still engaged, with the firm style of Anderson Brothers. Mr. Anderson has faithfully devoted himself to his own business during life, with the result of increasing the value of his manufacturing plant from a few thousand dollars to more than $50,000. He was married January 5, 1836 to Martha Baird, who after a happy married life of fifty-three years, died June 18, 1889. FIve of their children are living: Mary, now Mrs. William Standish, Elizabeth, Thomas F., James and David. The latter two are engaged in the manufacture of sewer pipe.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.