THOMAS BARCLAY, a very prominent citizen and retired grocer of Steubenville, Ohio, was born in Pittsburgh, Penn., January 25, 1830. He was the son of Samuel and Sarah Barclay, who were born, reared and married in county Tyrone, Ireland, and who emigrated to America in 1826 and located in Pittsburgh, Penn. Both his father and mother died while he was a mere youth, being only twelve years of age when the former died, and fourteen years of age when the latter died. When he was a child, four years old, his parents removed to Wheeling, W. Va., where, when he was six years old, he was placed in the family of William D. Nash. A year later, or in 1837, Mr. Nash removed from Wheeling to Steubenville, and he brought with him the subject of this sketch who was then a lad of seven years old. Here the latter spent his youth and here he has resided ever since. He received his early education in both public and private schools, and during his youth, when not in school, he assisted Mr. Nash in the latter's grocery and produce store. After leaving school his whole time was occupied by his duties in the store, and he continued with Mr. Nash in the same manner until 1861. The location of Mr. Nash's store from 1840 until 1861, was on the corner of Sixth and Market streets, now occupied by the Imperial Hotel. In 1861 Mr. Nash retired from business, and in the same year Mr. Barclay engaged in a grocery and produce business on his own responsibility in a store on a corner directly opposite the hotel, and he continued in the same business upon the same location for the period of twenty-six years. During the first nine years of that time his business was conducted in a one-story frame building. In 1870 he erected the present three-story brick block, which he occupied so long as he continued in business, and which he still owns. It will be seen that his attention throughout his entire business was given to the same branch of trade. He was very successful, and he is now permitted to spend his declining years in comfort. In 1886 he purchased the old Judge Dyke homestead, on North Market street, which is one of the most palatial and most desirably situated residences in the city, and which he has since occupied. Mr. Barclay was married on the 14th day of February, 1860, to Caroline B. Myers, daughter of James and Mary (Cookson) Myers, formerly residents of Steubenville. Mrs. Barclay was born in Steubenville in 1838. Mr. and Mrs. Barclay have had a family of four children, as follows: Mary N., who is the wife of H. W. Tonner, a hardware dealer of Steubenville; William R., who died, aged seventeen months; Harry, who died, aged thirteen days, and THomas R., who is a young man eighteen years of age, and who is employed as book-keeper, in Pittsburgh, Penn. Mr. Barclay retired from active business on the 15th day of August, 1887. He and wife are members of the Methodist Protestant church. In politics the former is a republican. Mr. Barclay possesses an easy manner, and a kind and courteous disposition. He is well known, both in Steubenville and throughout the adjoining country, and he is a man who commands universal respect and esteem.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.