WILLIAM G. DUVAL, machinist of the Spaulding Iron Works, was born at Wellsburgh, W. Va., February 21, 1837, son of Gabriel and Nancy (Marshall) Duval. The father, a native of Maryland, was a son of Ben Duval, and nephew of Judge Gabriel Duval, of the supreme bench. He was a glass manufacturer, and he and his brother started the first establishment for the making of glass on this side of the Alleghenies. He died in 1849, at the age of sixty-two years. His wife, a native of Virginia, died in 1857, at the age of fifty-seven years. She was a niece of Chief Justice, John Marshall, of the supreme court. Nine children were born to these parents, of whom seven grew to years of maturity: Rebecca, James M., Julia, Ann, Mary, Isaac and William G. William G. Duval began his own maintenance in 1856, as a machinist. Subsequently he became proprietor of the Virginia House, a flourishing hotel at Wellsburgh, but was burned out in June 1878. He then embarked in mercantile business at Smithfield, at which he continued for four years. In 1883 he resumed his former occupation at the Spaulding Iron Works, where he has since been engaged. He has served as councilman of the town, and is esteemed as one of the worthy and responsible citizens. In 1859, Mr. Duval was married to Henrietta, daughter of John and Mary Neely, of Jefferson county and these children were born to them: Wiley, married and living in Kansas; Minnie, living in Illinois; Campbell, farming in West Virginia; Claude, farming in Washington state; Marshall, farming in Jefferson county. The mother died in 1874, aged thirty-six years. In 1888 Mr. Duval was married to Mary Bowman, of West Virginia. He and wife are members of the Christian church.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.