WILLIAM G. HOWARD, of Wellsburg, manufacturer of barrels, boxes and general cooperage, was born in Belmont county, Ohio, July 15, 1849. He is the only child of Greenberry and Caroline (Deems) Howard, natives of Ohio, the former of whom, a merchant by occupation, died in 1850 aged twenty-five years and the latter of whom died in 1849 aged twenty years. After the death of his parents Mr. Howard went to Edwards county, Ill., to make his home with the parents of his mother, who had removed from Barnesville, Ohio to Illinois in 1859. He worked there upon the farm until he was fourteen years old, and then engaged in learning carriage making, at Flora, Ill. This occupied him three years, after which he went to St. Louis, and took the position of foreman in the Great Western Barrel works, which he held three years. Subsequently he accompanied a party to Arkansas to get out timber and on his return came back to Barnesville, where he was sick for several months. Removing then to Bellaire he opened a shop in 1876 and conducted it until 1880 when he came to Wellsburg. Here he has made a success in business though starting with little capital and occupies a creditable position among the responsible, enterprising and useful citizens of the county. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, is republican in politics, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Howard was married July 19, 1876, at Bellaire, to Ella, daughter of THomas and Helena Carroll, pioneers of West Virginia. Her parents had eight children, of whom William S. id the only other survivor. Her father died in 1863 aged thirty-three years and her mother in 1878 aged fifty-six. Mr. and Mrs. Howard have had three children, Emma Blanche, Carroll J., who died May 23, 1887 and John W.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.