W. H. HUNTER, one of the proprietors of the Steubenville Gazette, is a son of Joseph R. Hunter, a member of one of the Pioneer families of Ohio, of whom mention may here appropriately be made. Joseph R. was born in Westmoreland county, Penn., May 25, 1802, a son of James Hunter, born in Westmoreland county, Penn., in 1777, and Nancy Sloan, both of whom were born in Westmoreland county, of Scotch-Irish parentage. The father of James was one of the stalwart Presbyterians who emigrated to western Pennsylvania from Fauquier county, Va., in the early days, to escape the established church tithes of the colony. THese Presbyterian pioneers were men of great strength, physical, mental and moral, and their influence over the progress of the west has been immeasureable. Joseph R. Hunter came with his parents to Wayne county, Ohio, who took up government land which was among the first opened. Afterward he returned to Pittsburgh and became thoroughly acquainted with cabinet making, a trade in which he engaged at Cadiz, sixty years ago, and prospered in business, the competition of great establishments being then unknown. He was well educated in various departments of culture and having a strong and independent mind, was a man of great influence among his fellows. His acquaintance with law he obtained by reading with Edwin M. Stanton, the great war secretary, but he never practiced that profession, although his knowledge was useful to him and the community during the many years he served as justice of the peace and mayor of the village. His favorite authors, Shakespeare, Scott and Burns, he could quote copiously and in later years he became wonderfully well versed in history. Holding to the faith of his fathers, he was in Pittsburgh the leader of the choir in a Presbyterian church, and at Cadiz was for a long period precentor of the church. In character he was irreproachable, and while dignified to a degree that to some seemed austere, he was to his friends sympathetic and affectionate. He was married March 24, 1835, to Letitia, daughter of Samuel McFadden, and their golden wedding was celebrated about a year previous to their death. During that period but one of their family died, Mary, in 1859, but at its close another daughter, Lydia, wife of W. H. Arnold, passed away but a few weeks before her parents. Mrs. Hunter was a Christian lady whose many beneficent acts will long keep her memory green in the community. She organized the first Presbyterian Sunday-school in Cadiz, and it was due to her efforts that Bishop Simpson, the great Methodist leader, entered the ministry. Mr. Hunter died April 4, 1886, and a few days later, April 12, his wife followed him in death. She was born in county Cavan, Ireland, about 1815. The children surviving are: Rev. Dr. J. E. Hunter, of Northeast, Penn., Hon. S. M. Hunter, Newark; W. H. Hunter, of the Steubenville Gazette. George F. Hunter, of the Chillicothe Advertiser, and Mrs. A. J. Hammond, of Cadiz. W. H. Hunter was born at Cadiz, May 26, 1852. He received his early education in the public schools, up to the age of fifteen years, when he entered that valubale educational institution, a printing office, and learned the trade in the office of the Cadiz Sentinel. In course of time he became associate editor of that journal, and became thoroughly acquainted with all branches of the business. In 1875, with H. H. McFadden, he purchased the Gazette, at Steubenville, of which he became editor, a position he has occupied to the present, contributing in a great degree to the success and prestige of that journal. In this channel he advocates the principles of the democratic party, of which he has been an earnest member for many years. In 1884 he was nominated as a candidate for presidential elector on the ticket with Cleveland and Thurman by the democratic state convention. He takes an active interest in the improvement of the city, and was one of the leading spirits in the movement which resulted in beautifying Steubenville by planting trees in La Belle park and over the entire city, in the abandonment of fences and the adornment of lawns. Mr. Hunter was married June 7, 1876, to Harriet Rosamond, daughter of W. C. Browne, president of the City bank of New Philadelphia, Ohio. THey have two sons: Philip and William J.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.