WILLIAM J. ARCHER, a prominent marble dealer if Steubenville, was born in London, Eng., May 29, 1845. His parents, John and Mary Ann (Hudson) Archer, were born, reared and married in England, where the father died, March 11, 1878 and his mother still resides in London. Mr. Archer served an apprenticeship at London as a marble cutter, beginning when a little over thirteen years old. He was married June 4, 1867 to Anna Chapman, and in 1869 he removed with his wife to America, and first resided for three months at Cleveland, Ohio. He then lived eight months at New York city, after which he returned to ohio and settled in Akron. In July 1870 he removed to Steubenville, where about one year afterward he engaged in the marble business. He has conducted an establishment of that kind ever since. Mr. Archer also learned the trade of a stone mason, and since locating in Steubenville he has also given much attention to contracting in stone work. Among his principal works may be mentioned St. Paul's Episcopal church, the city hall and opera house, the Daugherty block, the Sherrard, Mooney & Co. bank block and the Congregational church, upon all of which he did the stone work. The first wife of Mr. Archer died June 8, 1876, leaving one child, Lizzie A. January 13, 1877, Mr. Archer was married to Emma Loretta Elliott, by whom he has five children: Grace, William E., Edward J., Charles H. and George E. He and wife are members of St. Paul's Episcopal church of Steubenville, of which he is at present junior warden. In the Masonic lodge he has attained the rank of Knight Templar. He is also a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Royal Arcanum. In politics he is an ardent republican.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.