DR. WILLIAM M. SIMPSON, the leading dentist of Wellsburg, was born at Carlisle, Penn., November 1, 1851. His parents are Rev. Thomas R. Simpson and Martha A. (Anderson) Simpson, both natives of Pennsylvania. The father, as a minister of the United Presbyterian church, preached for many years throughout Pennsylvania and Ohio, and is still occassionally called to the pulpit, though he has ceased active work. He is now seventy-six years old. He is a man of fine culture and sound in argument and persuasive in his appeals. His wife is still living, also all of their ten children, the youngest of whom is aged twenty-five years. All the members of the family are members of the Presbyterian church, and show in daily life the influence of their mother, a devout and faithful Christian lady. Dr. Simpson was educated in the public schools of Ohio and Pennsylvania and at the age of eighteen years he began earning his own livelihood. Determinging to follow dentistry he made a thorough study of the profession and before settling at Wellsburg, in 1876, practiced at Steubenville and Pittsburgh. He has been quite successful in his profession, and is classed among the best dentists of the state. As a citizen he is esteemed as one of the responsible and enterprising men of the community, generally taking an interest in affairs for the good of the community. He has made various investments in business, which have been successful. Though importunes to enter the political arena, he has never consented to seek office, but has faithfully devoted himself to his profession. His political faith is republican. The doctor was married December 1878, to Susan V., daughter of the alte G. W. and Julia A. Caldwell, highly respected citizens of Wellsburg. To this union four children have been born: Mary C., Charles C., William M., and Gerald L. The family residence is on CHarles street, and is a happy home, the abode of comfort and good will, with surroundings that indicate prosperity and thrift.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.