Email me with your additions.
LOCATION: Grimm Cemetery is on Knox Twp. Rd. 240. It contains many members of the Grimm family dating back to the pioneer days. The following is from "Knoxville Area History 1802-1976" At the top of the hill on the Jeffery Hill Road, Knox Township Road 240, the Jeffery farms still bore some semblance of the fine orchards and poultry buildings for which these farms were so well known in former times. However, the fields of the neighboring farms adjoining the road, which once were tilled and tended into a high state of production of such families as the Masseys, the Shellys, and of course, the Grimms for whom the ridge was named. The Grimm family first settled in the area known as Grimm's Ridge in Knox Township by two brothers who came from Maryland in the early 1800's and began farming the surrounding land. The first recorded deed for the land was to Sarah Grimm in 1878. She retained ownership of the Grimm Cemetery but the 160 acres later were deeded to John Grimm, father of Ford Grimm. Ford Grimm built the barn now standing around 1910, but the original house was destroyed several years ago. The original 160 acres are owned by Wilbur Grimm and his sister, Mrs Mary Jane Boring. Wilbur still has cattle there and puts up a little hay. About midway along the road lies the Grimm family burial ground, triangular in shape, and flanked on the right by a lane that leads to the old Stevenson farm and thence past the sugar camp once operated by the Mills family to its terminal at the new Knoxville school. This plot, about a half city lot in extent contains the last remains of many members of the Grimm family dating back to the pioneer days when such burial grounds were common. The number of interments in this area testify to the important part that the Grimm family played in the political and economic life of this Knox Township community. Many of the cemetery's dozen worn gravestones are chipped and sunken and most of the inscriptions are worn beyond legibility. Some of the markers, in this hollowed ground, have fallen from their foundations and remain in that position. Several of the stones have been knocked over by vandals. One of the markers, of ancient vintage, appears to made of terra cotta with the inscription carved in it with a sharp instrument long before time and the elements have made it indistinguishable. The earliest dates inscribed are 1811 and 1823. One of the larger monuments bears the name of Emmanuel Grimm and the date of demise as 1877. The date of birth and other information cannot be deciphered. The most impressive stone is that of two females, apparently sisters whose names were Sarah and Rachel. There is a date of 1864 for one of the sisters while the date for the other has never been incised. The final tombstone in the cemetery was placed on the grave of Sarah Grimm in 1904. In the old times several of the farms around here had family cemeteries, but why they didn't carry on the tradition is not known. This plot was once enclosed by a fence is attested by a partial row of posts standing at intervals around the circumference with the mortise for the rails still visible. The family is so scattered now and each generation has a little less interest in the farm. The township was given charge of the care of the cemetery. There are two approaches to this landmark. One turns to the left opposite the entrance to Lake Austin near the Vance Swickard farm. The road is straight and easily followed. If following this route, the cemetery is on the left. The other course would be to follow County Road 56 about two miles from its juncture with Route 213. A sign showing the location of the Beagle Club indicates the entrance to the Jeffery Hill road which may be followed directly to the site of the cemetery. Coming this way the cemetery would be on the right hand side Info contributed by Mary J. Boring....