Tribute to Steubenville Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
Welcome to the Tribute Page to the Steubenville Chapter of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.
History of the Steubenville Chapter, D. A. R.
The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution appointed Mrs. Dohrman J. Sinclair, in April, 1919, to organize a Chapter of the Society in Steubenville. Mrs. Edward Lansing Harris, Ohio State Regent, felt that there should be a Chapter in this locality and it was at her request that Mrs. Sinclair accept the appointment.
A previous attempt had been made to start a Chapter here. In February, 1917, the National Society appointed Mrs. Hettie Hagan Low an Organizing Regent but she did not secure the required number of members and her time expired by limitation.
An Organizing Regent is given two years in which to complete an organization. In a town where no other Chapter already exists, twelve members are required and where there is another Chapter in the place, twenty-five members must present proper credentials before an organization can be effected. So at the outstart of this second attempt it was freely predicted that there were not enough eligible women in this vicinity to meet the requirement. However, old family history was hunted out, Bible records were searched, and long forgotten acnestors were found who furnished the necessary links to establish a direct line between the Revolutionary ancestor and the applicant for membership.
So, it was that on June 10, 1921 the Steubenville Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution began. To honor the women who paved the way for organizing and getting the chapter up and running and for those who faithfully served and dedicated themselves over the years to the preservation of the Jefferson County history and of the men who served in the Revolutionary War, it only seems appropriate that we have a page in honor of them.
PRAYER OF THE D.A.R. OF OHIO
Almighty God, and our Heavenly Father, who of His great mercy hath watched over us and directed our work throughout our existence, we thank Thee for our heritage.
May the traditions and ideals of our ancestors forever inspire us to be large in thought, in word, in deed.
May we be done with fault finding and leave off self-seeking.
Make us to put away all pretense and to meet each other face to face, without self-pity, and without prejudice.
May we ever be slow in judgement and always be generous.
Teach us to put into action our better impulses, straight forward and unafraid.
Teach us to take time for all things: make us to grow calm, serene and gentle.
Grant that we may realize that it is the little things that create differences: that in the big things of life we are but one.
And may we touch and know the great common woman's heart of us all: and O Lord God, may we always be kind. Amen
- Ault, Mary L. (Mrs. Josiah C.)
- Banfield, Caroline (Carrie) Virginia Mahan (Mrs. George Henry)
- Buehler, Laura Mears Hill (Mrs. Chas. T.)
- Boyd, Mabel Ferguson (Mrs. Frank A.)
- Bateman, Odessa Van Kirk (Mrs. Oliver W.)
- Bigger, Mary Esther (Miss)
- Cary, Frances McF. (Mrs. Earnest)
- Collins, Helen Tappan (Mrs. B. F.)
- Collins, Nancy Tappan (Miss)
- Clark, Elizabeth Spaulding (Mrs. T. C.)
- Cool, Mary Louise Cole (Mrs. Wm I.)
- Dohrman, Eunice E. (Miss)
- Dohrman, Caroline R. (Miss)
- Donaldson, Emelda B. (Mrs. Wm. B.)
- Du Val, Anna Spaulding (Mrs. Wm. G.)
- Floyd, Rachel A. (Mrs. J. C. M.)
- Floyd, Altai A. (Miss)
- Floyd, Cora M. (Miss)
- Ferguson, Harriet (Miss)
- Francis, Annette A. H. (Mrs. Hurford B.)
- Grimes, Emma M. (Miss)
- Henderson, Florence D. (Mrs. Henry H.)
- Hall, Frances (Mrs. John T.)
- Hamilton, Maude (Mrs. J. E.)
- Illig, Frances (Mrs. Fred H.)
- Jacobs, Fan E. R. (Mrs. Guy W.)
- Jewett, Anna P. (Miss)
- Kithcart, Leila B. (Mrs. Jos. B.)
- LeVan (Baker), Wilma Sinclair (Mrs. G. B.)
- Linch, Mary E. (Mrs. Albert C.)
- Large, Josephine (Miss)
- Mcgee, Abbie Ault (Mrs. Frank R.)
- Mahon, Mary Tappan (Mrs. Geo. T.)
- Mosel, May Ault (Mrs. Jas. H.)
- May, Mabel Cunningham (Mrs.)
- Montgomery, Anna (Miss)
- Montgomery, Sara (Miss)
- Mossgrove, Daisy P. (Mrs. J. Ross)
- McCune, Elizabeth (Mrs. Samuel)
- McCune, Jessie (Miss)
- McCune, Laura (Miss)
- McFadden, Julia D. (Mrs. Henry Earl)
- McCracken, Grace G. (Mrs. John H.)
- McGowan, Lida McK. (Mrs. J. Easton)
- McKeever, Luella (Mrs. John)
- Nicholson, Elizabeth (Miss)
- Polen, Lottie Nicholls (Mrs. W. E.)
- Purdy, Margaret Knox (Miss)
- Rodgers, Louise (Miss)
- Simeral, Jessie G. (Mrs. Charles D.)
- Sinclair, Mary D. (Mrs. Dohrman J.)
- Stewart, Samantha P. (Mrs. George K.)
- Spaulding, Hetty Semple (Miss)
- Simeral, Grace (Miss)
- Tope, Hettie Virginia Jewett (Mrs. John M.)
- Vreeland, Marietta (Mrs. Geo. W.)
- Watson, Mary Hill (Mrs. Robert H.)
- Williamson, Eula (Miss)
- Williamson, Ina (Miss)
- Wolf, Blanche Simeral (Mrs.)
OTHER MEMBERS OF THE STEUBENVILLE CHAPTER
- Alban, Laura McWha (Mrs. Wm R.)
- Applegate, Mina W.
- Ault, Margaret Stone (Mrs. Leroy H.)
- Bates, Lucy Crew (Mrs. Harry M.)
- Baker, Sarah J. (Mrs. A. M.)
- Bennett, Gertrude H. (Mrs. John)
- Blackburn, Caroline (Mrs. Charles E.)
- Broady, Alice B. (Mrs. Wm)
- Brown, Ellen H.
- Brown, Elizabeth M. (Mrs. T. M.)
- Caddes, Anna B. (Mrs. Harry R.)
- Cook, Margaret Hagan (Mrs. H. C.)
- Cook, Martha Helms (Mrs. E. W.)
- Cooke, Mary Way (Mrs. Harry L.)
- Cowles, Mary Hammond (Mrs. F. W.)
- Creamer, Myrtle S.
- Creswell, Bertha
- Cunningham, Dora (Mrs. M. L.)
- Cunningham, Catharine Dorcas
- Cutler, Lucy Grimes (Mrs. Newell L.)
- Day, Frances Rea
- Douglas, Josephine M. (Mrs. T. D.)
- Erwin, Helen Matilda
- Erwin, Jessie Llewellyn
- Estergreen, Isabella T. (Mrs. H. M.)
- Ferguson, Harriet E.
- Francis, Sarah P. Thompson (Mrs. Marshall Higgins)
- Follansbee, Margaret R. (Mrs. Gilbert)
- Gist, Mary Louise
- Gill, Katherine A. (Mrs. J. H.)
- Glance, Martha Shuman (Mrs. Alvin C.)
- Goehring, Eliza Cranmer (Mrs. Carl)
- Graham, Mary M. (Mrs. Harold G.)
- Helms, Mary H.
- Henry, Mary Cable (Mrs. George N.)
- Hephner, Dorothy
- Higgins, Annette A.
- Hill, Mary Means (Mrs. Robert S.)
- Hogarth, Henrietta H. (Mrs. H. H.)
- Junkin, Sarah Kathryn
- Kenny, R. Louise Collins (Mrs. J. Albert)
- Kirk, Nancy Gill (Mrs.)
- Kirk, Sara Elizabeth (Mrs. Wm. J.)
- Leech, Kizzie Hill (Mrs. William)
- Linch, E. Core
- Loomer, Anna M. Hall (Mrs. Samuel)
- Lyons, Elizabeth Louise
- McCandless, Vera T. (Mrs. Wm. T.)
- McCauslen, Martha E. (Mrs. E. E.)
- McCauslen, Mary J.
- McCracken, Lucy
- McDonnell, Florence K. (Mrs. Edward)
- McDowell, Jane
- McGowan, Bertha Droegg (Mrs. Chas. B.)
- McGowan, Helen Butler (Mrs. Robert R.)
- McLaughlin, Jeanette McG. (Mrs. H. T.)
- Mahon, Mary Tappan (Miss)
- Mansfield, Vesta Rhea
- Markle, Edna Hood
- Markle, Harriett Marie
- Miller, Lavinia G. (Mrs. Nelson D.)
- Minor, Katharine Sinclair
- Monfort, Anna B. (Mrs. J. M.)
- Mooney, Mary Linduff (Mrs. Jos. E.)
- Naybor, Grace M. (Mrs. J. O.)
- Neidengard, Ellinor J.
- Neidengard, Julia Emilie Odell (Mrs. Henry)
- Nichols, Clara Lashley (Mrs. H. W.)
- Nicholson, Agnes J. (Mrs. Jos. B.)
- Nicholson, Elizabeth H.
- Nicholson, Mary Agnes
- Odell, Bess L.
- Odell, Ida H.
- Parks, Laura G.
- Pearce, Sara B. (Mrs. Samuel)
- Peterson, Ethel Alban (Mrs. John E.)
- Porter, Dorothy F.
- Purviance, Annie H. (Mrs.)
- Sharpe, Emma Carter (Mrs. A. B.)
- Simeral, Ada F.
- Smith, Minnie E.
- Smith, Susan H. (Mrs.)
- Stringer, Anna W.
- Stringer, Edith
- Tipton, Grace Hammond (Mrs. W. H.)
- Vermillion, Lillian M.
- Walker, Mary Wells (Mrs. C. F.)
- Way, Jane G.
- Wright, Sarah E. (Mrs. C. E.)
Copyright © 2006-2012 Danice Ryan All rights reserved.
This site may be freely linked to but not duplicated
in any fashion without my consent.