The Matthew Warden Family History
Compiled and Contributed by: Harriett Meadows Fuquay
- Matthew Warden, born between 1796-1798 in Ireland and died 12 Dec 1888, arrived in Ohio no later than 25 Jul 1822. He married his first wife, Mary/May Myers on this date in Jefferson County, Ohio. Their children were:
- George F. Warden, born abt. 1823 – spouse unknown
- Child Warden, born abt. 1824 –name and spouse unknown
- Child Warden, born abt. 1826 – name and spouse unknown
- Child Warden, born abt. 1827 – name and spouse unknown
- Child Warden, born abt. 1829 – name and spouse unknown
- Child Warden, born abt. 1831 – name and spouse unknown
- Joseph Warden, born May 1833 m’d Margaret Starren on 11 Oct 1860 in Jefferson Co., OH
- Matthew Warden, born Mar 1835 m’d Elizabeth Reed Maple on 26 Aug 1863 in Jefferson Co., OH
- Elizabeth Warden, born Sep 1836 m’d John Grimm on 19 Jul 1893 in Columbiana Co., OH
- Sarah Warden, born abt. 1838 – spouse unknown
- On the 1840 Jefferson County Ohio census Matthew Warden is enumerated with a wife and 10 children. By 1850 we can locate only 5 of those children. We do not know if disease took them or if they married.
- Matthew Warden married his second wife, Nancy Burk on 9 Mar 1843 in Jefferson County Ohio. Their child was:
John W. Warden, born Apr 1845 m’d Julia Grimm (sister of John Grimm) 25 Aug 1891 in Columbiana Co., OH.
- Apparently Nancy Burk died prior to the 1850 Columbiana County Ohio census as Matthew is not listed with a wife. His children Sarah and Joseph are listed with him and son Matthew is living next door in the Thomas and Margaret Coburn household. Matthew Warden is listed on the 1860 with his third wife, Nancy Ferguson, whom he married on 5 Aug 1851 in Jefferson Co., Oh and sons Joseph and Matthew.
- Joseph and Margaret Starren Warden do not appear to have had any children nor do John W. and Julia Grimm Warden. John and Elizabeth Warden Grimm also seem to have been childless. There is a Matthew and Ida M. Warden living next door to Joseph Warden on the 1880 Columbiana Co., OH census. This Matthew Warden, after further research, is most likely the son of George Warden of Wood Co., OH . Matthew was a railroad worker. This particular family has always been in Wood County.
- Matthew Warden, born 1835 and Elizabeth Reed Maple did have the following children:
- Mary Elizabeth Warden, born 20 Dec 1865, died 28 Nov 1946 – m’d James I. Smith on 15 Jan 1885 in Jefferson Co., Oh
- Emma Bell Warden, born 22 Oct 1867, died 30 Jun 1940, m’d James O. Walters
- James H. Warden, born 20 May 1864, died 16 Nov 1878, killed by a tree
- John A. Warden, born 20 Aug 1869, died 12 Jan 1940, m’d Annie Elizabeth Beadnell on 30 Mar 1896
- Matthew Tilden Warden, born 5 Mar 1872, died 30 Mar 1953, m’d Phoebe Ann Wareham
- Benjamin Franklin Warden, born 9 Apr 1874, died 17 Jun 1898, died from injuries caused by an ash cart falling on him at the Irondale Rolling Mill.
- William Wilson Warden, born 9 Apr 1878, died 27 Sep 1910, m’d Katrinia Pearl Davis
- Albert Ross Warden, born 17 Apr 1881, died 25 Jul 1896, died of abscess
- David Anderson Warden, born 23 Oct 1875, died 18 Oct 1940, m’d Myrtle Tommy Mitchell [this is my direct ancestor]
- Sources: 1840 – 1930 Ohio censuses; death certificates; “Deaths Recorded in Jefferson County, Ohio” by Leila S. Francy ; Marriage Records of Jefferson and Columbiana Counties; obituaries and the International Genealogical Index.
- This picture was taken between 1896 and 1898:
- Barbara Warden Meadows was the compiler’s mother, Joyce Warden Griffis is her aunt and Maxine Galassi is her cousin. 2006
Barbara Warden Meadows died 19 Jan 2009.
Contributed by: Harriett
I would like to hear from anyone researching the same family lines.
Copyright © 2009 Danice Ryan All rights reserved.
These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any
format for profit or presentation by other organizations or persons.
Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain
the written consent of the submitter or their legal representative,
and must contact the listed Jefferson County OHGenWeb Coordinator(s)
with proof of this consent.