Brilliant was founded by Philip Doddridge, town was laid out in 1819 on
land purchased from James Ross and was first called Philipsburg. A post office
was established in 1882 with James H. Moore as Postmaster . In 1836, 3 men
with last names of Means, Collier and Wilson laid out an addition to the
town and called it La Grange. The Railroad station used this name, but there
were other towns in Ohio with that name, so it was changed to Brilliant for
the Brilliant Glass Company. The town was incorporated in 1883.
Return to Cities Page