ANDREW A. ELLIOTT, M.D., whose professional work brought him to the pinnacle of distinction throughout Eastern Ohio, was one of the most thoroughly known and highly regarded men recorded in the modern history of Steubenville. His death which occurred, June 11, 1902, was a distinct shock to the city, whose citizens mourned his passing as a personal loss. His fellow practitioners, who frequently called him into consultation in the most complicated and trying cases, regarded his death as an irreparable loss to the medical profession. He was taken suddenly in the prime of life and in the midst of his greatest usefulness.
Dr. Elliott was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, October 6, 1853, and was a son of John and Catherine (Adams) Elliott. His father was born in Scotland in 1818, and his mother in Ireland in 1824. The paternal grandfather brought his family to America at a very early date and settled first in Beaver County, Pennsylvania, later moving to Athens County, Ohio. From there John Elliott moved to Columbiana County, where he became a man of substance and the owner of a farm, living there until his death, April 29, 1870. For a period of twenty-seven years he engaged in teaching school and attained considerable prominence as an instructor. His widow, who came to this country at the age of thirteen years. Dr. Elliott was the fourth of six children born to his parent, of whom two are now living: William Elliott of the Westinghouse Company, Pittsburgh, and Mrs. Mary McBean, of Wellsville, O.
Dr. Elliott, in boyhood and youth, enjoyed educational advantages denied many of his companions, his father taking particular pride in his son's quick intelligence and attainments. From an academy at Beaver, Pa., he entered the National Normal School at Lebanon, O., where he was graduated after an attendance of three years. He immediately entered upon the study of medicine in the office of Dr. J. W. Hammond, of Wellsville, O., subsequently entering the Medical University of New York, from which he was graduated in March, 1881. From that time he engaged in professional work at Steubenville, quickly reaching a high degree of efficiency as a physcian and surgeon, which brought him into prominence throughout this section of the state. He was especially skilled in surgery, a branch of medical science on which his distinction chiefly lay, being regarded as the foremost surgeon of Eastern Ohio. For many years he was surgeon for the Pennsylvania Company, the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad Company and several of the large manufacturing plants, as well as examiner for most of the leading life insurance companies. He was the promoter and one of the organizers of the Eastern Ohio Medical Association, was a member of various other medical organizations and of the Association of Surgeons of Pennsylvania Company. He was surgeon of the railroad hospital of Steubenville for many years and one of the leading surgeons of Gill Hospital from the time of its inception. The manner of man he was held is revealed in a tribute which appeared in the press at the time of his death. To quote: "He was beloved by his patients and there is great sorrow in many hearts throughout the city and community, that their beloved physcian, counsellor and friend had passed into the Great Beyond. As a citizen he was progressive and was a man of striking integrity of character and a genial companion and friend. He was a member of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church and senior warden and was one of the organizers of that church; his death is keenly felt throughout the parish where he was loved for his fidelity and Christian courtesy. He married Rachel Shaw, only daughter of the late James Gallagher, September 5, 1883, and they have lived a life of genial and happy companionship in a beautiful home surrounded by all the luxuries of a refined Christian life."