AVERY CHARLES JONES, one of the representative citizens of Warren Township, Jefferson County, Ohio, who, with his brother, Fred O. Jones, owns a tract of 275 acres on which they carry on general farming and dairying, was born November 15, 1876, on a farm in Warren Township, and is a son of Charles and Sarah (Caldwell) Jones.
Charles Jones, who was born on the old Jones farm on Rush Run, Warren Township, is a son of Stephen Jones, who was one of the early settlers and the owner of several hundred acres of land, which he sold to other pioneers of the township. Charles Jones was one of five children born to his parents: Charles; Wesley, a resident of Iowa; Lamden, deceased; Eliza, deceased; and Thoams , of Rush Run. Charles Jones was reared on the farm and learned tailoring, which he followed for many years, but later in life located on a farm on Short Creek, Warren Township. His death occurred in February, 1907, at the age of eighty-three years, while living with our subject on his present farm, where his widow still resides. Charles Jones married Sarah Caldwell, and of their union were born the following children: Elizabeth, who married Rev. Charles Simpson, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Tiltonsville, Ohio; Jon C., who is a physician at Dillonvale, Ohio; Margaret, who died young; Avery Charles; Thomas S., who is an attorney of Steubenville, Ohio; and Fred O., who is engaged in business with our subject.
A, C, Jones was reared on a farm near his present one, attended the district schools and for two years taught the Buckeye School of Warren Township. In 1900 he and his brother, Fred O., purchased their present farm of 275 acres in Warren Township, and here they followed general farming and supplied the mines with grain and hay until 1905. Since then they have been engaged in wholesale dairying, and keep from twenty-five to fifty registered Jersey cows. Me. Jones is a Republican in politics and in 1902 was first elected to the Ohio House of Representatives and served three sessions as representative from this district. Fraternally he is a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Knights of Golden Eagle. His religious connection is with the Methodist Episcopal Church.