ANDREW JACKSON ANDERSON, a retired farmer, and highly respected citizen of Springfield Township, was born on his present farm of 240 acres, which is one of the most valuable properties in this section of Jefferson County, Ohio. He is a son of Andrew and Esther (Blazer) Anderson.
Andrew Anderson, was born in York County, Pennsylvania, in 1795, and was two years old when brought to Jefferson County, Ohio, by his parents who bought the farm now owned by the subject of this sketch, which was then the property of Henry Jackman. This was sometime during the twenties and Andrew Anderson never moved from the farm, where he died October 4, 1876, He cleared up a part of the land and during his active years kept up the improvements and erected the buildings now standing. The two-story brick house, which now stands in a good state of repair, is the oldest in this vicinity and was built in 1838. The barn, 65 x 40, was erected in 1831. At one time Mr. Anderson owned 420 acres of land north of the center of Springfield Township, and all of it is now owned by his heirs, four of his children still living. When the Republican party was organized he identified himself with it and continued during life to give it support. He married Esther Blazer, who was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, in 1803, and died February 12, 1880. They were worthy members of the Presbyterian Church. Their burial was in the Amsterdam Cemetery. Ten children were born to them, namely: Sarah Jane (Rabbitt), Ellen, John, Elizabeth (Rabbitt), David, William, Mary Ann (Blazer), Margaret, James Monroe and Andrew Jackson. Of these William, Margaret, James Monroe and Andrew Jackson are now living.
Andrew Jackson Anderson and his brothers and sisters attended school in Jefferson and Carroll Counties. The survivors are all substantial people and among the best known in this part of the county. Mr. Anderson lives on that part of his farm which lies in Section 12, but seventy-nine acres are situated in Section 15. He has one very productive oil well on the place and is making preparations to drill another well near his residence. Mr. Anderson and his brothers are all Republicans in politics and Presbyterians in religious faith.
Grandfather Anderson in the early days had cut off a willow walking stick which he without intention left standing in the sand along the creek on his property. This stick took root and grew into a magnificent tree, some 5 feet thick, and is a land mark in this vicinity. From it many trees have been started all along the head waters of Yellow Creek.