ANDREW J. AULT, a representative business man of Jefferson County, Ohio, proprietor of a well stocked general store at Costonia, was born in Island Creek Township, Jefferson County, Ohio, December 16, 1835, and is a son of George and Margaret S. (Cisler) Ault.
George Ault, father of Andrew J., was a lifelong resident of Island Creek Township and was a son of Andrew Ault, who was one of the original pioneer settlers of this township. Of the family of children born to George Ault and wife, there are four survivors: John C. and Andrew J., of Island Creek Township; George W., of Toronto and Josiah C. of Steubenville.
When Andrew J. Ault was fourteen years of age he had an experience not often enjoyed by youths so young. His father decided to visit California by way of the isthmus route and took his young son with him, and after a voyage of thirty-one days the weary travelers landed at San Francisco. They both engaged in gold mining but after a while the father returned to Island Creek Township and never afterward left home. Andrew J. Ault spent his early manhood in the California mines and tested both placer and hydraulic methods. Afterward he went into the cattle business in Mono County. While in California he was first married, his wife being Miss Mary Weaver and she and their four children all deceased.
In 1871 Mr. Ault returned to the East and in the latter part of that year established a mercantile business at what was then a railroad crossing bearing the name of Brown's Station and he was appointed ticket agent and express agent here and had a large amount of business to attend to even at that early day. Later the station became Jeddo post-office and he was made postmaster and continued in all these offices for a number of years and continued postmaster after the growing town was renamed Costonia, and at the present time of writing, 1910, his wife holds this government office. Mr. Ault has acceptably filed numerous offices of responsibility in township and county. For two years he was a member of the board of infirmary directors of Jefferson County and for a number of years served as a director of the Special School District No. 2 and during a part of this time was clerk of the board. He has always been identified with the Republican party.
Mr. Ault married for his second wife, Miss Eva Henry, a daughter of the late Joshua Henry, an old time resident of Steubenville, and they have two children, a son and a daughter: Leroy H., who is general manager for the Jefferson Plantation Company, in Mexico; and Margaret A., who lives at home. Mr. Ault is a leading member of Bray's Methodist Episcopal Church in Island Creek Township, in which he is serving as a class leader, trustee and treasurer and formerly was Sunday school superintendent.