CAPT. B. F. PRENTISS, one of Steubenville's best known citizens, residing at his comfortable home, No. 218 North Fifth Street, Steubenville, came here in 1856. He won his title first in early manhood, when he ran a canal boat on the old Pennsylvania Canal, and later, when he raised a company for service in the Civil War. He was born at Milton, Pa., in August, 1835.
After coming to Steubenville, in 1856, he went to work for the Jefferson Iron Company, later for a Wheeling concern and then went to Pittsburgh from which city he returned to Steubenville in 1859. He was working in the La Belle Iron Works when the Civil War broke out and he immediately went out with Co. G, Second Ohio, that served one month in the State defense. He then came back to Steubenville and raised a company that was mustered into the service as Co. H, First Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in October, 1861. Some eighteen months later he resigned and returned to Steubenville. When General Morgan made his spectacular raid through the State, Captain Prentiss was one of the soldiers that fought to repel him. In 1864 he became manager of the nail manufacturing works at Benwood and was connected there about three years. He has had other interests and for twelve years served with the greatest efficiency as a justice of the peace. Since 1867 he has been identified with the Masonic fraternity.
In 1863 Captain Prentiss was married to Miss Margaret Jane King, who was born and reared in Steubenville. Their two daughters, Mary K. and Jennie B. reside at home. The former is principal of the Washington school of Steubenville. The latter is one of the city's successful physicians. She was graduated first from the Steubenville High School and in 1890 from the Homeopathic College of Cleveland, with her medical degree. After spending one year in dispensary work in Cleveland, she established herself at Steubenville and has built ip a very lucrative practice. She is a member of the Ohio Valley and the Ohio State Homeopathic Medical Societies. Dr. Prentiss is a member of the United Presbyterian Church.