CHARLES H. SPAULDING, is the third and only living son of David and Elizabeth Wallace Spaulding and is one of Steubenville's most representative citizens. He was born at Pine Creek, near Pittsburgh, Pa., November 23, 1841, and from 1858 was always closely associated wth his father in business. Charles H. Spaulding is an expert accountant, making a specialty of auditing, and he has recently completed some very intricate work. He has served in numerous borough offices, has been president of the Steubenville council, during which time the first block of pavement was laid on Fourth, from Market to Washington Streets. He has also served acceptably as president of the school board and for a number of years has been a notary public. He is a worthy representative of the honorable name he bears. From six to fifteen years of age he attended the public schools of Pittsburgh and Wheeling; then he was for two years at Monongalia Academy, Morgantown, Va. (now the State University of West Virginia), and in 1862, at Duff's College, Pittsburgh.
On February 24, 1863, Charles married Miss Amelia Robertson, at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Robertson, No. 219 North Fourth Street, Steubenville, Ohio. Eight children came to bless this union. Charles and Amelia, with their three younger children, Misses Emma K. and Hetty S., and Charles H. Jr., reside in the old Robertson family home, No. 219 North Fourth Street, Steubenville, Ohio. The married children are: Mrs. Anna A. (wife of W. G. Duval, of Noblesville, Ind.), Mrs. Elizabeth W. (wife of T. C. Clark, of Brilliant, Ohio), Mrs. Jessie R. (wife of Samuel Geijsbeck, of Auburn, Wash.), David Chase of Akron, Ohio and William L., of Mingo Junction, Ohio. These eight children, with fourteen grandchildren are all living and honoring their family name in the communities where they live.