CARL MILDNER, who has been identified with the interests of Steubenville for a quarter of a century, is a native of Germany, where he was born in 1861. Mr. Mildner was twenty-three years of age when he came to America. He had been thoroughly educated both in the public and theological schools and was prepared to take charge of a church. After a short period spent at Buffalo, N. Y., he came to Steubenville, where he had charge of Zion Lutheran Church for four years and went from there to Pittsburgh, East End, where he had charge for four more years of a Lutheran Church. At that time a throat trouble developed which ultimately caused his retiring from the ministry. He then returned to Steubenville and in partnership with his father, started a dairy on the John Martin farm and continued in the dairy business until about 1909. In the meanwhile he had been investing in property, buying the Huscroft and Liggett farms, both containing 114 acres. On the former farm, in 1903, he established the Steubenville Pure Milk Company, which he sold in 1908. In 1904 the Pure Milk Company was started on Washington Street, in Steubenville, and was the first and only company to give the town pasteurized milk. Since disposing of his dairy business he has been engaged in looking after his real estate interests, having proved himself to be a shrewd and successful business man. On March 11, 1910, he bought out the Imperial Hotel, the best hostelry in town. It contains 122 rooms, all heated with steam, has gas and electric lights, private baths and telephone in the rooms. The rates are from $2.50 to $3.00 a day. He is concerned in toher enterprises at Steubenville.
In 1885, Mr. Mildner was married to Miss Alma Trehman, who was also born in Germany. Mr. and Mrs. Mildner are members of St. John's Lutheran Church.