E. J. DYE, a successful general farmer in Jefferson County, Ohio, who owns 159 acres of fine land situated in Salem Township, along the Springfield and Steubenville Turnpike Road, was born in Monroe County, Ohio, April 20, 1867, and is a son of Basil and Adaline (Cline) Dye, the former of whom died at East Springfield; the latter resides on Yellow Creek, in Jefferson County.
E. J. Dye attended school through boyhood, in Monroe County and then assisted on the home farm until he was twenty-four years of age. He then married but remained for some time afterward in his native county. When he decided to move to Jefferson County he bought his present farm in Salem Township, from William Watt. He found very little improving necessary, as all the comfortable farm structures now standing had been previously erected. He has all his land under cultivation except twenty-five acres which is still in timber and is a valuable part of the farm.
Mr. Dye was married February 22, 1891, to Miss Ellen Polen, a daughter of George W. and Sally (Baker) Polen, and they have had three children, CLyde, Carl and Earl, the last named dying when a babe of ten months. Mr. Dye and wife belong to the Disciples Church. He is a Republican in his political views but he has never desired office, his preference being for the independent life as a farmer. He has never leased his land for coal but formerly it was leased for gas and oil.