HON EDWIN M. CRAWFORD, long a leading citizen of Bloomfield, Jefferson County, Ohio, was born in Lancaster County, Pa., being the son of Carlisle and Mary A. (Mullikin) Crawford.
James Mulliken, the first of the maternal ancestors in America, came from England in the sixteenth century, and settled on a large plantation in Prince George and Anne Arundel County, Maryland, at what is knon as the Forks of the Patuxent. Several of his descendants served on the American side in the Revolutionary War.
John Crawford, the grandfather of our subject, was a native of Scotland and heir to the patrimonial estate of Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, known as the Earldom of Crawford and Dukedom of Balcarres, the title being one of the oldest in the kingdom. He left Scotland when a young man, and resided for some time in Londonderry and County Down, Ireland, then came to America and settled in Lancaster County, Pa., where a son was born and named in honor of a friend of his family, the Earl of Carlisle.
Carlisle Crawford was united in marriage to Miss Mary A. Muliken, who was born near Annapolis, Maryland, and in her early girlhood, removed with her mother's family to Pennsylvania. To this union five children were born and all in Lancaster County, Pa. When their son Edwin was four years old, they came to Wayne Township, Jefferson County, Ohio, and settled near Rose Mount, one mile west of Bloomfield. Edwin M. is the only surviving member of his family. His mother died April 4, 1878; and father, October 25, 1880. Hillary B., the first born of the family, was a member of Company C, Fifty-First O.V.I., in the Civil War, dying at Victoria, Texas, September 6, 1865, and buried in the National Cemetery at Galveston. The other deceased children being Henrietta, who died May 7, 1854; Elizabeth A., September 15, 1883; and Emeline M., on October 22, 1906. His parents and sisters all died in Bloomfield and were buried in the beautiful cemetery on the hill top near the village.
Mr. Crawford was reared a mile west of the village of Bloomfield, and after a number of years his father moved to town where he purchased property and carried on the boot and shoe business.
He received his early education in the Rose Mount public school, and in 1891, at Chautauqua, New York, received from the hands of Dr. Edward E. Hale of Boston, Mass., a diploma for proficiency from the Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle. He is one of the best informed men in Jefferson County, has been identified with literary bodies, and was at one time a trustee of the Wells Historical Society. He is at present mayor of Bloomfield, a position which he has filled with credit for twenty consecutive years and has added a number of improvements to the village. He has long been an active Republican, serving frequently as delegate to County, State and Congressional conventions. He had the pleasure of attending the National Republican COnvention at St. Louis, which nominated Wm. McKinley for president, and the one at Philadelphia, where he was nominated for a second term.
He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and recording steward for the four appointments consisting of the churches of Longs, Bloomfield, Hopedale and Unionport.
He is a member of Edwin <. Stanton Post, G.A.R., Steubenville, Ohio and of Bloomingdale Grange Patrons of Husbandry. Beside filling a number of local offices, he is serving his third term as treasurer of the Republican County Central Committee, and has been clerk of Wayne Township for twenty-eight years, and clerk of the Township Board of Education for thirty-two years. During the present year, he was honored as census enumerator for the village of Bloomfield and a portion of Wayne Township. During the Civil War, he served four months as Corporal of Company G, 157 O.V. I., under the command of Col. George W. McCook; and treasures as one of his most valuable possessions, an autograph certificate from President Lincoln and Secretary of War Stanton for distinguished and honorable service during that period. At the State Encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic, held at Steubenville, April 25-29, 1891, he served as one of the staff appointments of the Chief Marshall. The following being a copy of the order: General order No. 1--Capt. Alex Smith, Adjt. Gen'l; Maj. E. M. Crawford, Quartermaster; Aides de Camp: John Opperman, Maj. Jas. F. Saratt, Clay Salmon, Chief Marshall.
In his visits to Washington and elsewhere, he has had the pleasure of meeting President McKinley, Senator Sherman and others of national reputation, and meeting his old comrades at the dedication of Chattanooga National Military Park, at Chickamauga, where Ohio had fifty-five organizations engaged and at the Blue and Gray demonstration at the Atlanta Exposition, when President McKinley, at the close of a stiring address, was embraced by General Longstreet.