E. M. FISHER, one of Steubenville's prominent and successful business men, proprietor of the leading meat market in the city and also extensively interested in real estate, was born at Steubenville, O. in January, 1869, and is a son of Jacob M. Fisher.
Jacob M. Fisher was born in 1836, in what was then the village of Steubenville and here he spent a long, useful and honorable life. He first conducted a cooper shop, later became a brick manufacturer and still later went into the grocery trade. His death occurred in August, 1909. He married Mary A. Horner, also a member of an early Jefferson County family.
E. M. Fisher attended the public schools of Steubenville until the spring of 1886, when he embarked in the retail meat business and has built up what is the largest trade in this line in the city. For a number of years he has also been an extensive handler of realty and is a member of the firm of Wilson, Fisher & Co. This company has subdivided several large parcels of land into building lots, which they improved and subsequently advantageously disposed of, and he was the prime mover in a large realty transaction recently completed by which a subdivision of 202 lots were sold, at Gary, Ind. He is president of the Jefferson Land Company through which this important deal was effected. He has long been one of the city's most active public men. He served for two years as a member of the city council and is president of the board of Subway Fund trustees.
Mr. Fisher was married first to Jessie D. Richardson, who died in February, 1902, survived by three children: Elsie D., Jay M. and Inez M. He married , July 24, 1906, Miss Mary E. Alexander, of Gallipolis, O. Mr. and Mrs. Fisher are members of the Finley Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he is chairman of the board of trustees and has served in all the official capacities. He is identified with the Knights of Pythias, the Elks and the Modern Woodmen, and is one of the most valued members of the Steubenville Chamber of Commerce.
The Fishers have been large land owners in this section for several generations, and there are many old landmarks through Jefferson County that bear the name of Fisher. John Fisher, the grandfather, came to Jefferson County as early as 1806 and in many early enterprises was associated with Bazaleel Wells. They both acquired many acres of land and engaged extensively in growing sheep and it was their custom to drive these over the mountains to the eastern markets. Mr. Wells and Mr. Fisher also operated four copperas works and after Mr. Wells dropped out they were run by Mr. Fisher. Wells and Fisher were the pioneers in Copperas manufacturing in this country.