GEORGE N. HENRY, secretary and manager of the Pleasant Heights Improvement Company, at Steubenville, O., is a native of this city and has been identified with its business interests since the age of fifteen years. He was born January 11, 1854, and is a son of Joshua and Ann (Lee) Henry. Mr. Henry comes of Irish ancestry, both grandfathers coming to America from County Down, Ireland, at the same time. His father, Joshua Henry, was born at Pittsburgh, Pa., and died in Jefferson County, Ohio, in 1878. For a number of years he followed an agricultural life in Island Creek Township. His widow survived him into extreme old age.
George N. Henry, the third born in a family of six children, received a good public school education and at the age of fourteen years was mentally prepared to assume business responsibilities and from that time until October, 1873, he served continuously and faithfully and efficiently with two firms of old business men of Steubenville, Thomas Stanton, and Keller & Whitaker. In 1873 an opportunity came for him to embark in business for himself, as the successor to Keller & Whitaker and George L. Whitaker, and in October of that year he embarked in the grocery business in partnership with Samuel Cox. The death of Mr. Cox within six months threw the entire responsibility of the enterprise on Mr. Henry, which he successfully assumed and continued alone in this business until 1880. In the fall of that year, in association with John C. Brown and George A. Maxwell, he established a cold storage business, under the firm style of Brown, Maxwell & Henry. Three years later a disatrous fire destroyed the plant and at that time Mr. Brown retired. Mr. Henry and Mr. Mazwell joined their interests and engaged in the wholesale fruit business, which proved a very successful venture, the firm of Maxwell & Henry building up the largest trade in this line in this section of the state. Mr. Henry has been a most active citizen and a very useful member of the city council, to which he was first elected in the spring of 1885, and served until 1892. He was there recognized as a thoroughly experienced and practical business man, and very soon was made president of the council, and during his many years of civic service has held other positions of responsibility, being made a member of the finance committee and chairman of the streets committee. He has always counseled good citizenship and has set the example. In 1891 the Pleasant Heights Land Company was organized, selling out to the Pleasant Heights Improvement COmpany in July, 1901. Mr. Henry was a stockholder in the original organization and retained stock in the new company, of which he has been manager from the beginning.
On March 31, 1876, Mr. Henry was married to Miss Mary E. Cable, who is a daughter of William Cable, a former postmaster of Steubenville. They have one daughter. In politics Mr. Henry is an ardent Republican. He is identified fraternally with a number of organization and is connected with benevolent bodies.