GEORGE W. COCHRAN, secretary and treasurer of the Ohio Valley Clay Company, has been a resident of Steubenville, Ohio, since 1878 and through his business and official connections is one of the city's best known men. He was born at Hanoverton, Columbiana County, Ohio.
Mr. Cochran was reared and educated in Pittsburgh, Pa., and Steubenville, Ohio, and began his business life here by embarking in the shoe trade. He continued in this until 1889, when he again went to Pittsburgh, where he conducted a shoe business until 1889, when he again went to Pittsburgh, where he conducted a shoe business until 1894. He then returned to Steubenville to accept the assistant postmastership under Postmaster James Trotter and became acting postmaster on the death of Mr. Trotter, serving out the latter's unexpired term. In the spring of 1898 Mr. cochran became officially identified with The Ohio Valley CLay Company, and has been secretary and treasurer of this business enterprise ever since.
Mr. Cochran was married in 1895 to Miss Kate Gilmore, of Steubenville, and they have two children, Mary Helen and George W., Jr. Mr. and Mrs. Cochran are members of the Second Presbyterian Church, of which the former is a trustee. He is likewise a member of the Steubenville Country Club.