HENRY F. LAWLER, justice of the peace and a well known and representative citizen of Steubenville, was born in this city, June 21, 1867, a son of Michael and Ellen (Devine) Lawler.
Michael Lawler, who was a native of County Waterford, Ireland, came to Steubenville in 1851, and was here connected with the stone contracting business during the rest of his active life. He married Ellen Devine and they had nine children born to them, the six survivors being: Kate, who is the wife of James J. Dooley, of Toledo, O.; Anna, who resides in Steubenville; Maria, who is the wife of John W. Leahy, of Detroit, Mich.; Emma, who resides in Cleveland; John, who is a resident of Chicago; and Henry F., of Steubenville.
Henry F. Lawler was reared in Steubenville and was educated at St. Peter's Parochial School, after which he served an apprenticeship of one year in the printing office of the Steubenville Gazette. He then went to the Gill Brother's Lamp Chimney and Glass Manufacturing Works and continued there as an employee for twenty years. In the meanwhile he had taken an active part in public matters and become a useful and popular citizen. In 1904 he was elected a member of the Board of Public Service, of which he was vice-president during 1906-07 and president during the years 1908 and 1909. He was then assumed the duties of this office in 1910.
In 1903 Mr. Lawler ws married to Miss Carrie, the youngest daughter of John Andregg, one of the old citizens of Steubenville, and they have one child, Katherine Virginia. The family belong to the Holy Name Catholic CHurch. The handsome residence Mr. Lawler erected at No. 249 Eight Street, Steubenville. He is identified with some church organizations and with the Modern Woodmen.