HON. JOHN A. KITHCART, formerly a member of the Ohio State Legislature, and for many years a prominent attorney at Steubenville, is senior member of the law firm of Kithcart & Bigger, attorneys and notaries public, with offices at No. 323 Market Street. Mr. Kithcart was born November 9, 1947, at Mt. Pleasant, Jefferson County, Ohio, and is a son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Sherrard) Kithcart.
On both sides, the grandparents of Mr. Kithcart were natives of Pennsylvania. His father, Joseph Kithcart, was born at Uniontown, Pa., in 1823, and his mother, in Jefferson County, Ohio. Joseph Kithcart followed an agricultural life and during its larger part resided in the vicinity of Mt. Pleasant.
Although John A. Kithcart enjoyed only the advantages offered by the district school in which he had formerly been a student, later he attended the Hopedale Normal College through one winter, preparatory to entering Washington and Jefferson College, where he was graduated in June, 1871. While Completing his preliminary and necessary reading of law, Mr. Kithcart continued to teach school, but his final preparation was made under the oreceptorship of Hon. Jared Dunbar, at Steubenville, and his admission to the bar followed on October 1, 1873. He was immediately taken into partnership by Mr. Dunbar, who recognized his pupil's ability, and the law firm of Dunbar & Kithcart became an active one in all the county courts and continued until April 1, 1898, when Mr. Kithcart formed a partnership with his son, Joseph B., which continued until the latter's death, in 1903. In the latter year Mr. Kithcart entered into his present partnership and this firm has been closely connected ever since with the larger amount of important litigation in the courts of this section. Individually, Mr. Kithcart is solicitor for the Miners and Mechanics Bank of Steubenville, having sustained this intimate relation for some time. He has always been an active, interested citizen, has served on many civic boards and in political bodies, and in 1881 was elected a member of the Ohio State Legislature, in which he served with marked efficiency during his term of two years.
On December 26, 1871, Mr. Kithcart was married to Miss Sarah J. Bigger, a daughter of William Bigger, a former prominent resident of Jefferson County. Five children were born to this union, Nancy S., Joseph B., Mary H., Elizabeth J. and Wilma A. Mr. and Mrs. Kithcart are active members of the Third Presbyterian Church of Steubenville, in which he has been a ruling elder since January 1, 1876. The pleasant family home is situated at No. 209 South Third Street.