James George




JAMES GEORGE
_________________


JAMES GEORGE, mayor of Bergholz, O., and for many years a leading citizen in Brush Creek and Ross Townships, Jefferson County, was born on his father's farm at Mooretown, three miles east of this borough, December 19, 1836, and is a son of Robert and Martha (McLaughlin) George.

Hon. Thomas George, the grandfather of Mayor George, who was born in Pennsylvania and came to Ohio in 1775, became a prominent man in Jefferson County and was elected a common please judge in 1816. His children were: Robert, David, John, Thomas H., Alexander, Christiana, Anna, Esther and Sarah. After retiring from public life he resided in an old stone mansion which he built in Ross Township in 1818, and there he died when aged eighty-eight years. The old stone house was one of the most important stations on the Underground Railroad, and Robert George and our subject were important cogs in this system of freeing the slaves. Thomas George was a member of the Covenanter Church in early manhood and later of the Presbyterian bodies.

Robert George, father of Mayor George, attended the early schools as opportunity afforded and followed farming until his marriage, when he embarked in a store business at Mooretown. Some years later he bought a farm and later the old homestead and lived on it until his death, June 12, 1887, his burial being in the cemetery attached to the United Presbyterian Church at Mooretown. He was affiliated with the Republican party, but never cared for office. He married Martha McLaughlin, a daughter of James McLaughlin, of Carroll County, Ohio, and they had the following children: Thomas, who was killed in the Civl War, being a member of Company K, Second Ohio Volunteer Infantry; James, subject of this sketch, and John who is deceased. The mother died in 1890. Both parents were members of the United Presbyterian Church.

James George obtained his education in the country schools and then turned his attention to helping his father on the farm. After his marriage he lived on a farm in Brush Creek Township, but this he later sold, buying one in Ross Township, on which he lived for five years, then removed to the old homestead in Ross Township. This place he improved and here he accumulated about 600 acres of land. In 1890 he moved from the old place and retired to Bergholz and the value placed on him by his fellow citizens was very clearly shown by their electing him to the highest office in their gift, in 1908. He formerly had served as a notary public and justice of the peace and for several years was postmaster at Mooretown.

On September 15, 1857, Mr. George was married to Miss Mary J. Kirk, a daughter of John Kirk, of Circle Green, Jefferson County, and they had seven children as follows: Martha, who died in early womanhood; Mary Luella, deceased, who was the wife of Samuel Dorrance (had two childredn, Marie and William Eugene); Thoms who owns the old homestead in Ross Township, married Anna Dorrance, a daughter of William Dorrance, and has four sons and one daughter - Robert, Jesse K., Martha, James and William; John E. who married Frances Crabb, a daughter of Mitchell Crabb, and has one daughter, Mary F.; Robert William, who married Juanita Walker, and has two daughters and one son, namely, ERma, Meryl and James Walker; D. Bert, who lives in Alliance; and Mitchell, who died when aged four years. Mayor George and family are members of the United Presbyterian Church.

Addendum: Contributed by: Ingrid Capozzoli Flinn

The History Of Belmont & Jefferson Counties (Ohio)
author - Caldwell
pub in - 1880
page - 575

Thomas George was born in Lancaster (now Dauplin county), Pa., in the month of February, 1780 , and at the age of ten years his father , Robert George , moved to Washington county, Pa., In the year 1802 , Andrew Griffin entered section 28, of township 11 , and range 3, of the Steubenville land district in Ohio , and in the year 1804 , Robert George bought the east half of the same, and his son Thomas (having in 1800 , married Jane Hunter) moved to it in 1805, and brought with him two children, named Christina and Ester. There were afterwards born to him five sons, named Robert , John , David , Thomas and Alexander : and three girls, named Esther , Ann and Sarah Jane. Mr. George was the first permanent settler in Ross township, and planted the first orchard, having carried the young apple trees on a horse from Washington county, Pa. He was of Scotch Irish desent. Mr. George inherited all the leading traits of his sturdy Presbyterian ancestors. Belonging to that branch of the church known as the Associate Presbyterian, he carried with him into his new home in Ohio, principles that have largely influenced the society of the present day. He was a staunch abolitionist, and his house on Yellow Creek was a noted station on "the underground railroad," having harbored as high as twenty-one fugitives at a time. Mr. George died August 10, 1868, having served one term in the Legislature, in 1817, and twenty-one years as associate judge of Jefferson county, Ohio.

The History Of Belmont & Jefferson Counties (Ohio)
author - Caldwell
pub in 1880
page - 574

Thomas H. George was the fourth son of Thomas and Jane George, and was born in Ross township, Jefferson county, Ohio, November 6, 1818. Recieved his education in the old log school house and was trained to industry and economy on the farm of his father. Taking the Golden Rule for his guide in life, he early became the friend of the slave, and cast his first ballot for the liberty party, afterwards the free soil party. His choice for the presidency was never elected until the time of Abraham Lincoln. He was married April 22, 1841, to Mary Robins, daughter of John Robins, of Carroll county, Ohio, who was born February 26, 1822. From this union were born three sons and four daughters - John P., born July 5, 1842 ; Jane, born March 4, 1844 ; Sarah, born October 31, 1846 ; Thomas H., born October 4, 1849 ; Crissie K., born October 15, 1852 ; Edwin, born October 22, 1864 ; Lizzie, born July 26, 1861.


 Return to Family Tales  Return to Home Page