JAMES ANDREWS, who is extensively engaged in sheep and cattle raising in connection with general farming, is the owner of 325 acres of highly cultivated land in Island Creek and Salem Townships, Jefferson County, Ohio, and was born June 29, 1850, on his present farm, a son of William and Jane (McCullough) Andrews.
Col. John Andrews, grandfather of our subject, was born in Westmoreland County, Pa., and later came with his wife Nancy and children to Jefferson County, Ohio, and took up the whole Section 6, in Salem Township. He erected a log cabin, and operated a saw mill in connection with his farming interests, and later sold the western half of the section to his brothers. He served in the War of 1812 as Colonel under General Harrison and was neither wounded nor captured while in service. After the war he returned to his family, who remained on the farm during his absence, and died there in 1842. He and his wife were both charter members of the U. P. Church, which was then a seceder and a small log affair, which Colonel Andrews assisted in building. The cemetery which surrounded the church, which was located in Section 6, still remains as one of the landmarks of this locality. Both Colonel Andrews and his wife were buried at the U. P. Cemetery at Richmond, Ohio. They were the parents of the following children: David, John, James, Mary, Isabella and William.
William Andrews, father of James, was born in 1800 in Washington County, Pa., and in 1803 came with his parents to Salem Township, Jefferson County, Ohio, where he was reared and received his educational training in the subscription schools of this locality. He spent the remainder of his life on the home farm engaged in agricultural pursuits, and during his early life operated a saw mill and carding mill. He was politically an abolitionist, being very strongly opposed to slavery and was later a Republican. He was a member of the U. P. Church of which he was also and elder. His marriage with Jane McCullough, who was a daughter of John McCullough, of Springfield, Ohio , resulted in the following issue: Mary, who was the wife of Matthew Swan, and died in 1873; Nancy, who was the wife of Stephen Hobson, and died in 1892; Margaret, who died in 1903, and was buried at the Richmond Cemetery; Katherine, who is the wife of Edward Haggan, of Harrison County, Ohio; John, who was a member of Co. G, 52nd Ohio Vol. Inf., and died while in the army, in the fall of 1862, at Bowling Green, Ky., and was buried at Richmond,Ohio; David K., who married Frances McCausland, now deceased; James, the subject of this record; Annie E., who is the wife of William House, of Columbus, O.; and Thomas A., who was twice married, first to Emma Davis. William Andrews passed from this life June 29, 1871, and was buried in the U. P. Cemetery at Richmond, as was also his wife, who died March 22, 1902, at the age of eighty-six years.
James Andrews grew to man's estate on his present farm, which is the homestead place once owned by his grandfather, and attended the schools of the township. He has always followed general farming and makes a specialty of sheep and cattle raising. He built the barn and other outbuildings on the place, but the house was erected in 1854 by his father. Mr. Andrews is identified with the Republican party in politics, and was a member of the Ross Township Board of Education. He was married October 7, 1889, to Retta Simpson, who is a daughter of Robert and Eliza (Kirkpstrick) Simpson, of Island Creek Township, and to them have been born children as follows: Jennie McCullough, now attending school; Lydia May, Thomas McKinley and Joseph Campbell. Mr. Andrews' cousin, Frances Patton, who was born in East Springfield, Ohio, was left an orphan when but a few days old, and always made her home with the Andrews until the time of her marriage with Joseph R. Campbell, of Omaha, Neb. The family are all members of the United Presbyterian Church.