JAMES BALL, formerly a county commissioner of Jefferson COunty, Ohio and for many years a justice of the peace, resides on his farm of 214 acres which lies just north of Toronto at Calumet Station, which place has been his home all his life. Mr. Ball was born here, September 23, 1834 and is a son of Joseph L. and Mary (Cameron) Ball.
Joseph L. Ball was born in the historic Shenandoah Valley, old Virginia, a son of James Ball, who came to Ohio in 1804. How long he remained at that time the records do not tell but it is known that later he resided for some years at Holliday's Cove, W. Va. and still later lived on Brown's Island, south of Toronto, for seven years. He then moved to Island Creek Township and lived there until 1826, in which year his son, Joseph L. Ball, purchased the farm on which his four sons now live. James Ball and wife and also Joseph L. Ball and wife all died on this farm. The latter was a native of Brooke COunty, West Virginia, a daughter of John Cameron.
James Ball has made agriculture his business through life and with his three brothers owns the homestead. He is also a stockholder in the American Sewer Pipe Company. FOr eighteen years he served as a justice of the peace and later was elected a member of the board of county commissioners, in both capacities performing all the duties devolving upon him with the greatest efficiency.
James Ball was married to Elizabeth Peters, who is a daughter of Abraham Peters, one of the old settlers of this section. Since he was twenty-two years old, Mr. Ball has been connected with the Masonic fraternity and is a Knight Templar. The sunstantial old residence in which 'Squire Ball and wife reside was erected by his father in 1851 and at that time was the finest brick house in the township.