JAMES CADMAN, general merchant at Toronto, Ohio, in that part of the town known under the name of Fosterville, is one of the steady and enterprising business men of this section. He was born in Loudon County, Va., August 11, 1874 and is a son of Charles and Agnes Cadman.
Charles Cadman moved with his family, about 1881 to Calumet, Jefferson County, Ohio and for twenty-one years was in the employ of the Calumet Fire Clay Company, being a foreman in the plant for seven years of this time. Later he became a partner with his son in merchandising and retained his interest until the time of his death in 1903.
James Cadman was about seven years old when his parents moved to Calumet and he has resided in the town of Calumet for twenty-seven years, his place of business being but one-half mile south of his home. In April, 1893 he bought a half interest in the store of John Mushrush, at Fosterville, an old established business, and twenty-one months later he purchased the other half interest. He then started out under the firm name of James Cadman & Co., his father being his partner, and after the death of the latter, he has conducted the business under his own name. In 1897, he erected his present commodious quarters, removing from the old location about 100 feet north. He does a large business and carries a full stock of general merchandise. He has other interests and is a director of the First National Bank of Toronto.
Mr. Cadman married Miss Nettie C. White and they have two children: Charles and Alma. In politics Mr. Cadman is a Republican and for five years was a member of the Toronto School Board, his term expiring January 1, 1910. He is identified with the Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias.