JOHN D. HESS, owner of the HEss Milling Company, of Amsterdam, Ohio, belongs to a family which for three generations has been prominently connected with the milling industry throughout Ohio. Mr. Hess was born June 30, 1859, in Scio (then known as Mewmarket), Harrison County, Ohio, and is a son of Charles Hess.
Charles Hess , the father of John D. Hess, was a son of John Hess, familiarly known as "Old Johnny". John Hess carried on milling at various times at New Philadelphia, Uhricsville, Trenton, Westchester, Tippecanoe City, Scio, Carlton, East Springfield and Bergholz, and was located at Freeport with his son, when he was called away by death. He was buried at East Springfield, Jefferson County.
Charles Hess spent part of his boyhood near Harlem Springs, and when seventeen years of age engaged in the milling business near Perrysville, Carroll County, where he later lost his mill by fire. He then started at Tippecanoe City, and later in succession was located at Millwood, Knox COunty, near Scio, Harrison County, New Comerstown, near Lafayette, the Ware mill at Trenton, Canal Dover, the Jenkins Mill, near Freeport, Harrison County, The Dickerson Mill, near Cadiz, Strawsburg, and the Mitchell Salt Works in Jefferson County. For the following twelve years he was engaged in the lumber business in Jefferson County, and he then located in Amsterdam, where his death occurred in September, 1897. Mr. Hess was married to Mary Beltz, and to them the following children were born: John D.; Elizabeth, who married first, a Mr. Belknap, and secondly, Albert Culp, and resided at New Somerset until her death; Ellen, who married William Watt, of Holt, Jefferson County, and had four children--Maude, Bessie, Grace and Marie; two daughters who died in infancy; and David C., who married Ada Russell, and has three children--Floyd, Mildred and Mabel.
For a number of years John D. Hess was engaged in the milling business as a partner of his father, but in 1896 he embarked in the business on his own account, and he has so contiuned, the Hess Milling Company being an up-to-date concern in every way and drawing trade for a distance of sixteen miles. Mr. Hess is a Democrat, and for two or three terms has served as councilman. Fraternally, he is connected with the Knights of Pythias. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he is a class leader.
Mr. Hess was married to Miss Annie M. Morehardt, daughter of Christian Morehardt, and two children have been born to them: Charles, who married Zulu Knox, daughter of the Rev. Joseph Knox, of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Amsterdam; and George Grover, who was a telegraph operator until 1907, in which year he became cashier of the Peoples Bank Company of Amsterdam.