JOHN D. KILGORE, a prosperous and well known citizen if Island Creek Township, was born in Steubenville, this county, March 18, 1833, a son of William and Anne (Hill) Kilgore.
The subject of this sketch was reared in Steubenville. He was educated at Grove Academy, a former institution of learning here, and while quite young took up the study of dentistry with Dr. Henry Morrison, who had moved from here to Pittsburgh. He began the practice of his profession at Salineville, remaining there three years, when he removed to Indianapolis, where he lived ten years. Returning to Jefferson County in 1878, he purchased the Castner farm in Island Creek Township, about nine miles west of Steubenville, which he has converted into a model farm, prosperous as well as attractive. Here, besides general farming he has engaged successfully in stock raising. He has been especially active in the promotion of pikes, interurban electric lines, and everything that could turn to the advancement of the community.
Mr. Kilgore served four months in the Union army during the Civil War, enlisting in Co. A, 143d Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He took part in the Siege of Peterburg and at the end of his term received an honorable discharge. He is a Master Mason, joining the order at Steubenville and later belonging to a Masonic Lodge at Indianapolis, from which he received a demit on his return to Jefferson County. He is much interested in promoting the welfare of the order.
Mr. Kilgore was married, July 18, 1880, to Mrs. Elizabeth James. She is a daughter of George and Susan (Johnston) Strickler, her father being a native of Fayette County. Her mother was born near Steubenville, O., of which place her maternal grandfather, Abram Johnston, was an early settler. Mr. and Mrs. Kilgore are the parents of two children, William and Jay S., both of whom reside in Island Creek Township. Mrs. Kilgore is a member of Two Ridge Presbyterian Church. By her first marriage she has one son, Charles C. James, who is a resident of Island Creek Township.