JOSHUA F. RINE, postmaster at Fernwood, O., manager of the telephone exchange and for the past nine years township clerk of Cross Creek Township, Jefferson County, Ohio, was born at New Alexandria, O., October 8, 1859, and is a son of John B. and Lillian (Lashley) Rine. The venerable parents of Mr. Rine still survive, both being in the eighty-first year of their age. The parents of John B. Rine were Joshua and Mary (Ralston) Rine, who came to Cross Creek Township in 1795, from Maryland, and spent the remainder of their lives here. The parents of Mrs. Rine were John and Susan (Davis) Lashley. John B. Rine and wife had five children: Alfaretta, Belle, Joshua F., C.E., and William. Belle is the wife of Charles McDevitt.
Joshua F. Rine had only common school advantages but he was a faithful student and was only seventeen years of age when he secured a certificate that entitled him to teach school, his first paper of this kind being limited to six months, but he afterward secured a certificate without restrictions and continued to teach during the winters for a number of years, giving his summers to the farm. His official duties in late years have absorbed a large part of his time. In politics he is a Republican. He is identified with the Jr. O. U. A. M., at New Alexandria, and F. & A. M., at Smithfield.
Mr. Rine was married July 4, 1907, to Miss Mary L. Holmes, eldest daughter of Hiram and Martha (Gilkison) Holmes, and a granddaughter of Thomas and Mary (Snyder) Holmes, (the former a native of Virginia) and of William and Mary (Watt) Gilikson. The father of Mrs. Rine served four years in the Civil War, being commissary sergeant in Co. H, 40th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. His death occurred November 5, 1907, but his widow survives and lives on the old homestead. Mrs. Rine had three sisters: Ora, who died when aged ten years; Elizabeth, who married Michael Loftus; and Myrtle, who resides with her mother. Mrs. Rine is a member of the Cross Creek Presbyterian Church, while Mr. Rine belongs to the Methodist Protestant Church at New Alexandria.