J. G. BELKNAP, who has been engaged in the practice of law at Steubenville for the past two years, was born in 1883 at Sherrodsville, Carroll County, Ohio and was there reared and secured a high school education. He also graduated from the Scio College with the class of 1904 and then taught school for some time. Subsequently he entered the Ohio Northern University at Ada, Ohio and in 1908 received the degree of LL. B., locating at once in Steubenville he has since been successfully engaged in practicing his profession in the various courts of the State. Mr. Belknap is a member of the Hamline M.E. Church of Steubenville. He is fraternally an Elk, a Mason and a member of a Greek letter fraternity.
J. G. Belknap, is the only child of Mr. and Mrs. James L. Belknap. Mr. James L. Belknap is a member of one of the oldest families of Carroll County. He showed early in life a strong inclination towards mental pursuits and was ever an attentive and industrious student. He was an exceedingly well posted man, one in whom the people had confidence both as to judgment and honesty. He always took a leading part in the advancement of the interests of his county; in its educational, religion, social and financial developement. His well known spirit of progressiveness made him one of the leaders in every movement, and his purse was always open to deeds of charity and benevolence. He is a Republican in politics and is an active worker in the party.