JAMES L. COX, county surveyor of Jefferson County, Ohio, a civil engineer by profession, was born at Brilliant, Jefferson County, Ohio, in 1860, and was educated in Jefferson County and at Lebanon, in Warren COunty, and for five years engaged in teaching in the former county. During 1892-93 he was in railroad work with the Fort Wayne Railroad, then worked as a civil engineer, and from 1894-97 as a general engineer, and during the latter year was a civil engineer at Mingo Junction. In 1901 he entered upon the duties of county surveyor and has served continuously in the office, his present term expiring September 1, 1911.
In 1880 Mr. Cox was married to Miss Mary Horn, of Washington County, and they have one son, CHarles, who is taking a special engineering course at the Ohio State University at Columbus. Mr. Cox and family are members of the Christian church, of which he has served as treasurer. He is identified with the Odd Fellows at Brilliant and is financial secretary of the lodge.