J. L. HOLTON, vice-president and general manager of Gill Bros. Company, glass manufacturers, at Steubenville, O., where his whole life has been spent, on the maternal side, is a grandson of one of the early and prominent pioneers of Jefferson County. The parents of Mr. Holton were Jeptha L. and Mary A. (frazier) Holton.
Jeptha L. Holton was born in New Jersey and came from there to Steubenville in 1840, and was engaged in the mercantile business at Indianapolis, Ind., where he remained eight years and moved from there to Kalamazoo, Mich., where he died in 1866. He married Miss Mary A. Frazier, a daughter of William Frazier, who came to Jefferson County in 1798 and later was a soldier throughout the War of 1812. He was one of the pioneer millers in the county and with his son, James Frazier, assisted in founding the iron works which later became the old Jefferson Iron Company. They were also identified with other pioneer industries.
J. L. Holton was educated in the Steubenville public schools and at Princeton University. After leaving college he was for two years chemist for the Jefferson Iron Works, but in 1887 came to the Gill Bros. Company and has been in the glass manufacturing business ever since. On the reorganization of the company in 1901 he was made vice-president and general manager. In addition to this he is interested in other business enterprises.
In 1893 Mr. Holton was married to Miss Anne S. Wallace, a daughter of W. H. Wallace, who for a number of years was president of the Jefferson Iron COmpany. Mr. and Mrs. Holton have one daughter, Mary Wallace. Mr. Holton is a member of the Steubenville Chamber of Commerce, the Duquesne Club, of Pittsburgh, the Pittsburgh Country Club, and the Steubenville Country Club.