JOHN McCLINTON, formerly one of Steubenville's representative business men, for many years was prominently identified with extensive iron works both in West Virginiaans at Steubenville, and his manufacturing interests grew to very large porportions. He was bornin County Antrim, Ireland, July 2, 1814, and died at Steubenville, O., May 27, 1882.
The parents of Mr. McClinton, William and Martha (Dowing) McClinton, came from Ireland in 1816, setting in beaver County, Pennsylvania, some eight miles distant from Pittsburg. When John McClinton reached the age of responcibility, he went to that city and there worked in one of the great foundries intil he learned the trade of nail-making and became so impressed with the importance and possibilities of the iron industry, that he remained interested almost exclusively in it during his subsequentlong and successful business career. It was in 1851 that he first went into business for himself, founding and contributing capital, with others, the La Belle Iron Works, at Wheeling, W. Va. This enterprise proved eminently successful and the business so rapidly expanded the its owners felt justified, in 1859, in purchasing the Jefferson Iron Works at Steubenville. Mr. McClinton acquired large interests in both foundries and gave to both the close attention and pratical advice which contributed largely to making them notable in the iron manufacturing industry. In the honorable pursuit of business, Mr. McClinton amassed an ample fortune, and in its management and judicious distribution he evinced discrimination, public spirit and benevolence.
In March, 1852, John McClinton was married to Miss Margaret Nesbit, who was born March 20, 1824, in Buttler County, Pennsylvania, a daughter of William ans Rosanna Nesbit, native of Ireland. Her death occurred January 14, 1910. To Mr. and Mrs. McClinton were born six children, namely: William; annie M.; George albert, who died April 17, 1862; John Edwin, who died April 22, 1898 (wa married in September, 1883, to Marry Miller, of Steubenville, O.); Samuel Nesbit, who married Carolinr Hull, of Allegheny, Pa., June 15, 1900; and Charles F. Miss Annie M. McClinton still occupies the comfortable residence at No. 321 South Fourth Street, Steubenville, of which the family took posession in April, 1865.
William H. McClinton, the eldest son of the late John McClinton, was born in Allegheny City, Pa., ans was thirteen years old when the family came to Steubenville, where he was reared and educated, and of which city he is a very prominent citizen. He has many interests and is the president of the National Exchange Bank and had a member of its directing board. On October 4, 1876, he was married to Miss Mary Caldwell, of Steubenville, O. Mr. and Mrs. McClinton reside at no. 227 South Third Street, Steubenville.